Thursday, November 7, 2013

Update on Effects of Typhoon Yolanda


A few minutes ago, while eating breakfast on our Friday morning, it was reported that Yolanda made landfall with the most powerful winds of any tropical system ever recorded. It has sustained winds of about 195mph and gusts beyond 235mph. I do not know if that classifies it as the most powerful ever, but it is strong enough to cause massive damage in developed countries and is sure to cause grave damage here in a country like the Philippines. The warnings posted by the government for the most affected areas are at what they call “Signal 4” — the highest alert level that is rarely raise.

A small minority of Filipinos live in substantial houses or other dwellings. The vast majority live in nipa huts, houses of light walls and tin roofs, shanties of whatever material that can be scavenged or lean-tos formed from plastic tarps. Please pray for the literally millions of people in this country who are in extreme danger. I have developed a great love for the Filipino people and I am extremely concerned at their peril today!

The storm has already come in south of Tacloban and Filipino television is showing streets flooded with water. The storm surge was projected at  about 18 feet, but it appears the actual surge was in excess of 20 feet. After it passes over Leyte Island, it will be again over the warm waters most of the way through the Visayas with only smaller, but densely populated, islands to pass over as it progresses through the middle of this country.

In Cebu, we are also under the “Signal 4” warnings with the worst of the storm to be at about noon local time. As I write this, it is just after 9am and our conditions are getting markedly worse. I can hear the winds picking up outside my windows. The rain is getting heavier and has become a driving, constant torrent of water. The hotel that I am in is very strong and secure, so I am in no danger. I wish the same could be said for my brethren in this country, some of which are among the poorest of the poor. At the north end of Cebu Island is Bogo City That is where a number of newly converted brethren reside and it looks like they may get a direct hit or very close to it. They are at great risk as they have no substantial shelter and are at very vulnerable to any storm surge that is even half as high as recorded on Leyte. The newly baptized brethren on Masbate Island (where we were to be today) are in line to take a direct hit and are without any substantial shelter. Dangers of flash floods in the mountain areas is also very high.

Obviously, my immediate concern is first with the lives of brethren throughout the Visayan islands as well as other citizens of this country. The emergency needs from this storm are likely to be staggering! Please keep this situation in your prayers. I will do all that I can to pass on word of how brethren have been affected, but communications are likely to be down for some time and we may not have full information for days.

Jonathan Carino and I had discussed priorities for where we needed to go before this trip began. Both of us agreed that the number one priority was going to Masbate Island. There are three formerly Baptist preachers, newly converted, on fire with a zeal to spread the word and having many ready to hear the gospel. Though this storm has prevented us from going now, I am considering a change in travel plans to go there after the storm if travel to the island is possible in the next week. We will make a decision after the typhoon passes and we know the conditions there. I request prayers that the island be spared great damaging making it possible for us to travel there and preach to souls who are likely to be more sober about the condition of their souls given this calamity. Of course, we will be certain it is safe before we go there if such travel is even possible. As of this moment, all travel plans are on hold due to a total shutdown of all transportation options in this part of the country.


So, for now I am hunkered down in a very safe and substantial hotel with two backup generators that will hopefully keep us in power. (The power just went off and backup generators kicked in as I am posting this to the blog. Power outages are being reported as widespread to total in the path of the storm.) I appreciate your concern for me and the messages sent regarding fears over my safety, but I assure you that I am very safe and secure. Please direct those prayers to the safety and well-being of so many who are facing a terribly dangerous day. God bless.