Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Last Two Days of This Trip (Nov 18-19, 2013)

11/18

On Monday, we had an all-day preachers’ study at the meeting place of the Pasay congregation and it was packed. Rody was  teaching when I arrived. Not long after my arrival, there was a brown-out that lasted about 15 minutes. After Rody finish his material, I started an extensive examination of Premillenialism. The study started before the lunch break and then continued all afternoon until about 4pm. There were several visitors that were deaf. They had been at previous studies held at Pasay as well. One made known her desire to be baptized into Christ and we were happy for that response.

At the end of the study, Rody wanted me to talk on the conditions of our brethren in the Visayas affected by Typhoon Yolanda. I gave a brief summary of what we had seen and the situation of the brethren. Rody followed with an exhortation for the Filipino brethren present to share something in meeting the benevolent need of their brothers and sisters in need. Rody mentioned that brethren in the area around Tuguegarao had given a significant amount and he would be taking that to the Visayas in a few days. Many of the brethren there gave Rody some funds to take on their behalf as well.

At the end of the study, I met a brother from Samar that had come to seek help from brethren in Manila as that island was also badly damaged by the typhoon. In fact, the first landfall of Yolanda was on Samar. He said the brethren were hungry and had no rice. I asked him what was needed and he said even one sack of rice they could share. I gave him enough for three sacks of rice which would be enough to last for a few weeks until we could get more in to them. All of the funds received had already been put to the needs we knew about plus several additional needs that came to our attention after I left Cebu, so this was borrowed funds again leaving me only a very small amount to meet needs until I was to leave on Wednesday.

11/19

Under normal circumstances, I am usually so tired by the end of my Philippine trips that I have started taking one day off in Manila before flying home. This has made a big difference in getting rest at that time. Unfortunately, that was not possible on this trip. With several more MoneyGrams sent that needed to be redeemed, I set off this morning to accomplish that. After going to two different branches of the bank and several hours of problems in locating and redeeming the MoneyGrams, I was able to get them. These funds will make it possible to meet some of the needs as they arise before Ron Halbrook and Keith Greer arrive in the country in about two weeks. They will be bringing additional funds that will surely be needed.


When I got back to the hotel, I again started with correspondence that was once more mounting. As of this moment (2:30am on Wednesday morning), I have answered every email or Facebook message that I know about. It is very possible that I missed one, so if I have not answered one from you, please send it again and I will do my best to answer as soon as I can after getting home. Since it is only two hours before I leave for the airport and my flight home, I need to finish packing and get on the road. Thanks again for the outpouring of love and concern for our brothers and sisters in the Philippines who have endured an unbelievable catastrophe. God bless!