Sunday, November 10, 2013

Lord's Day in Cebu City and Bogo

Our Lord’s Day started differently than anticipated a few days ago. We were scheduled to spend the day in Bogo, worshipping with the five different congregations in that area. However, due to the calamity of Typhoon Yolanda, we were unable to worship with them. So, we started the day worshipping with the congregation in downtown Cebu City. The group continues to grow in number and spiritual strength as they have throughout the time I have been coming here.We study a lesson on “The Family: A Center for the Lord’s Work” starting from the statement made about the household of Stephanas in 1 Corinthians 16:15-16.

After the worship service at Cebu City, we proceeded to Bogo on the northern tip of Cebu Island. We had been informed by brother Gil Suico that the meeting place of the oldest of the five churches church had the roof torn off in the storm and is in shambles. All eight families in that church had houses with severe damage or fully   destroyed. As noted in a previous report, he said that 80% of the homes in Bogo are flattened. We found that to be an under-estimated rather than an over statement. Upon leaving Cebu City to the north, damage started to pick up before we even got out of the city. By about halfway to Bogo, one could look in any direction and see massive damage. By the time we got to Bogo, I did not see a house that was undamaged anywhere. Most were totally destroyed.

After meeting with brethren in three of the five churches and talking with another, we found that all were without food. Those who lost their houses had all food items destroyed as well. The rest had shared with their brethren and were now at the point of having nothing left. The brethren asked for only rice and sardines to make it and said they could buy the dried fish with their own funds. Of course, as in any calamity, prices have gone up significantly. However, with food commodities limited at best, we all felt it best to secure enough food for the next three weeks. (I will say why that period was of priority below.) So, just the essentials for the brethren was computed at about $1850. We all went to the market which still had food and funds were given to them to pay for the food needed. They were extremely thankful and the relief that they had something to eat was evident. It has been a truly horrible time for those brethren and it was gratifying to know that they had some relief amidst the tragedy.

I did not come with extra funds for benevolent relief, but I have committed to using every dollar I have with me to help in as far as that help will go and putting many expenses on my credit card. Many individuals provided funds saying they were to be used at my discretion and I will use what has been given in that way to this benevolent effort. With respect to funds sent by churches, I have accounted those as for evangelistic purposes only. That entire amount plus some has already been spent or committed for evangelistic purposes, some paying for venues and travel made impossible by the typhoon. I do not know how far in the hole I am so far on this trip, but with the needs still to be addressed on Leyte, it will be much further. Several have asked what you could do and here are few suggestions for you to use as you will:

1. Brethren Ron Halbrook and Keith Greer will be coming to the Philippines in about three weeks. I have talked with Ron and asked that he seriously consider altering his schedule to help deliver benevolent funds needed. For those of you who would like to take advantage of a tax-deductible donation, Ron had the “Help A Neighbor” fund to which individual funds are accepted and those donations are tax exempt. All donations for relief of brethren due to Typhoon Yolanda should be earmarked for that purpose and they will go for that purpose alone. I trust both Keith and Ron to be open, honest and transparent in the distribution of such funds. You can reach Ron Halbrook by email at one of these addresses: ronhalbrook@gmail.com  or  halbrook@twc.com

2. If you want to send funds to me directly while I am in the Philippines. I can receive them by MoneyGram which can be sent from any WalMart at a reasonable fee. Please be sure to send the funds in U.S. dollars (USD) rather than in Philippine pesos (Php). When the funds are sent, they will give you a receipt with a reference number on it. I must have (a) the reference number, (b) name of sender, © name of recipient and (d) the amount sent. Please send it in the name of “Harry Osborne” with that exact spelling or I cannot receive it.

3. If you would rather send it to my home address and let me take care of sending it to the places needed, I will be glad to do so after I return home on November 20, the Lord willing.

4. If you want to send a messenger with your own funds, I would be glad to put you in contact with trusted brethren who could assist you here.

5. I strongly recommend that you NOT send large amounts to Filipino brethren asking them to make a distribution. This is not a matter of questioning their integrity as I trust many of them with my life. In a culture where extreme poverty is a constant challenge, putting large sums in the hands of brethren who are in great need and have never seen such sums puts a stumbling-block before them which is unfair to them. Also, when it is know by other in their culture that they have received a large sum (and such will be known), it puts them at danger both physically and in their relationship with others who will put unbelievable pressure on them to get some of those funds. Experience has taught me that it is very unwise to send such large sums to one of our brethren here, no matter how much I trust them. Please consider the implications before you do this if such is your intent. 

The Lord willing, tomorrow we will take the fast craft (a hydro-foil boat) to Ormoc City, on the western shore of Leyte. Tickets were already sold out for the early trip at 5:30am which would have required that we leave my hotel at 4am. I must admit that I was not entirely sorrowful that we would have to wait until the 9am departure. This later departure will allow us only to visit Ormoc and then return to Cebu on the 7:45pm trip back to Cebu. (The trip it between 2 and 2 ½ hours in length each way.) It turns out that it was better for all if we went to Tacloban later in the week after they have a chance to dig out from the rubble and figure out what is needed. So, our plan is to fly to Masbate on Tuesday morning, return to Cebu on Thursday, and go to Tacloban on Friday.


The devastation we saw at Bogo was the worst I have ever seen. It was the same total damage I saw in the May 20 tornado that hit Moore, but spread out over a far greater area. There is no electrical power from a little north of Cebu City all the way to the northern tip of the island. That is a trip by car of over 3 hours in length. In the mango groves I saw on the way, not a single tree was left standing. Mango orchards are the main crop on Cebu. The trees in open areas from about halfway to Bogo onward had been totally stripped of leaves — not a single leaf was left. Power poles and power lines were down everywhere. There is no way to either say or show by pictures the degree of destruction that is the norm on the northern part of this island. The even sadder part when I thought about it was that the damage in Bogo is far less than that on Leyte by all accounts. It was heart-wrenching to see the suffering we saw today. I dread seeing the devastation and suffering souls yet to come on Leyte. I know you are praying for these people, and I do not mean to imply that you are not, but I cannot help but plead that you continue to remember them in prayer to our loving Father who has all power. Thank you again for your great concern!