Sunday, January 24, 2010

Victorias and Travel to Iloilo

We had originally intended to help a new work in Bacolod begin meeting today, but the one providing the meeting place and one of the main helpers both had serious medical problems causing a cancelation of those plans. So, we traveled an hour from Bacolod to Victorias City where Jack Jaco preaches. Jack taught the class and I preached on “God Satisfies the Longing Soul” from Psalm 107:8-9. We worshipped our Lord in spirit and truth here just as you also do today back in the States. At the close of the service, two people (one man and one woman.) came to be baptized.

After services, we drove back to Bacolod, ate and packed quickly for our trip to Iloilo. We boarded the Super-Cat (a hydro-foil type ship) to make the short sea passage from Negros to Panay Island. The trip took about one hour over very rough seas. It was pitch and roll the entire time with very large, breaking swells visible out the windows with intermittent splashes against them. It was not one of my better sea-going experiences.

Upon arrival in Iloilo, the noise level was noticeably increased to anything I had experienced before. As we went toward the hotel, it kept increasing all of the way. When we got to the hotel, the reason became very apparent. Though I hate to admit it, I went to several rock concerts in my youth. None of them prepared me for what I heard upon arrival to the hotel and continue to hear despite having earplugs in with Bose noise-cancelation headphones over that. This is the final day of the main fiesta in Iloilo. People are dressed in native costumes (and NO you do not want to see them) and are dancing in the streets – kind of a native Mardi Gras. There are 6 massive towers of speakers on the street in front of the hotel by a built-up stage with “musical” performances and recordings blaring non-stop (mostly drums and bass). Our taxi literally shook and I had to grab my ears on passing one of the speaker towers. I was painful at that decibel level! The bass is turned up so high that I can feel every note 3 floors up as I am writing this in my bed. It is now 5:30pm and it is to continue until 10:30pm. We are about to go to the mall to eat and escape the worst of the noise. (Upon getting back from the mall we just heard the bad news that there will be a very loud fireworks display from 10 to 10:30pm. Thrills!

I had booked a room at the hotel where we normally stay, but canceled it this morning when I learned the rates would be almost triple what I paid in November. (They said that it was a “special fiesta rate.”) Those of you who know me can imagine how well that set with me. So, I arranged to stay at the cheaper hotel being used as the venue for the lectures. I will let you know how it looks when it stops shaking enough that I can see it clearly. It would be even more miserable if I was paying three prices to endure it.

The Lord willing, we will begin with the lectures here in the morning. Hope your day of worship with other saints goes well as you together lift up praise and devotion to our Lord. May God be with you and His name be glorified.

Brotherly, Harry O.