Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Preacher Training Program (PTP) Begins

Today’s report is being written under less pressure than yesterday’s report. Yesterday, I was able to post to the blog at the airport in Iloilo after checking in for the flight to Manila. Then, I started to get the e-mail form ready to send and they called for boarding as I did so. I was the last passenger on the plane as I waited for it to finish sending. Today, I am sitting comfortably in Rody Gumpad’s office as I write. Much better!

After meeting Ron Halbrook in Manila last night, we flew by Cebu Pacific to Tuguegarao this morning. After going to check-in and unpack at the hotel, we came back to the Gumpad house where we ate our lunch. It was another wonderful meal from Tessie as usual.

Lordy Salunga was already teaching this morning, but we all taught in an abbreviated schedule this afternoon. Lordy taught an overview for the book of Galatians. I taught the introductory lesson to Church History dealing with the history of the first century church as we see recording in the New Testament. Ron taught the first of his classes on “Issues That Divided Brethren.”

The students are not mostly younger men as in the classes we have conducted previously. These men are the older preachers in the area who have asked that we allow them to go through the training. So, most are the sound brethren with whom I have worked in numerous trips to this area. They have excellent attitudes and a great desire to learn more. I expect this to be one of our best preacher training efforts to date.

On a personal note, my voice is even worse today than it was yesterday. I am hoping the lighter speaking schedule over the next few days will get it back to normal, but I am hoarse and have a very sore throat at this time. The heat in the Visayas also left me with a very bad heat rash around my neck and shoulders. It is not any fun when this stuff hits me. I would appreciate your prayers that I might improve and allow me to fulfill my responsibility more easily.

Thank you again for your prayers and concern on our behalf. Rody, Lordy, Ron and I are all looking forward to the training effort and working with one another in this effort. Please keep us in your prayers as you are in our prayers.

Brotherly, Harry O.