Friday, January 29, 2010

A Day of Joy & Sadness

Today, I was able to meet my full schedule of classes. My throat is doing much better and I felt more strength coming through the day. When I spoke, I relied heavily on the microphone and spoke without straining the voice. I am thankful for the prayers offered on my behalf and trust that God continues to help through His providence.

Our classes had to be in a different venue today. There was a scheduled, general blackout in Tuguegarao today that was announced yesterday. (As I understand it, power usage has been unusually high due to hotter than normal temperatures over the past few days, so they had to shut off power today for repairs and regeneration.) Ron arranged to rent a function room in the hotel where we are staying because it has its own generator to continue power in such circumstances. So, we simply took our schedule of classes and taught them here. It was both necessary and ideal, but not cheap.

My first class on Old Testament Prophets covered an overview to the book of Isaiah. We emphasized the pattern of the prophets in making a near term prophecy so that, when it was fulfilled, the people had confidence in the distant future prophecies concerning the Messianic kingdom. The New Testament Survey class covered the book of Matthew in overview form. We emphasized the Sermon on the Mount as teaching the foundational points upon which the remainder of the book is based: the difference between the OT physical kingdom and the spiritual kingdom of the Messiah. My last class was on Church History and covered the period from the end of the first century through about 250 A.D. We noted how apostasy is always the result when we take our focus off of the divine pattern of Scripture and start to focus upon the thoughts, philosophy and writings of man.

Since the classes were in our hotel, I spent a great deal of time in the classes of Lordy and Ron during the day. It was very enjoyable to hear them teach their subjects. At the end of each class, we also took questions from the students and had some excellent discussions that were very spirited at times. All remain very open to hear and discuss the issues seeking the will of God.

The day ended on a note that was both intensely sad, but yet giving a point of hope for the future. Otey Pastor, 33, is a preacher in this area and is a student in our classes. Last night and early this morning, he received text messages from home saying he must return home to fact serious problems. When Otey was 19 years old, a tragedy struck his life. His family had their land seized by some people. The courts ruled in favor of Otey’s family, but the land grabbers would not recognize the authority of the court. A woman whose husband was an NPA leader (communist rebels) went into their house armed with a gun. Otey and his brother followed her in and a struggle took place. The woman was killed and Otey maintained it was in self-defense. That explanation was accepted at that time, but the woman’s family is very influential and has fought to get some revenge. In short, they succeeded in getting Otey convicted through courts where they gained influence. Though his lawyers were trying to appeal the decision to a higher court where he might get a fair hearing, the corrupt officials are now demanding he surrender and go to prison. Though he is clearly innocent, it seems that Otey will have to start serving a 6 to 8 year sentence next week. His lawyer believes that will be reduced to 3 years with good behavior. Even 3 years in the prisons here is an unimaginable horror to anyone in our country. I have preached in and seen the conditions these prisoners are under and it is unspeakable. I do not know about you, but when I consider Otey’s situation, my own problems seem very trivial! Even 3 years in the prisons here is an unimaginable horror to anyone in our country who has not seen the conditions these prisoners are under. I do not know about you, but when I consider Otey’s situation, my own problems seem very trivial! In addition to Otey, his wife and small children will also be sentenced to a period of great suffering and deprivation as well as losing the love and care of their dear husband and father. We told the class of the problem and let Otey address them. There were no dry eyes, but we all joined in prayer about the situation. Otey has a good attitude and is determined to serve God by teaching the gospel in prison and living by faith. The cases of Joseph, Daniel and Paul were cited as examples to emulate. I ask each of you to please pray earnestly for this dear brother that God through His providential care may protect Otey. Our hearts are grieved beyond words, yet we have hope that our God is still in control and will work to bring about whatever is best for His will.

On a brighter note, Jack Jaco sent word tonight that 3 have been baptized as a result of the Bacolod lectures last week. Two women and one man, a denominational preacher, were baptized. The denominational preacher has brought 50 of the members where he has been preaching to hear the gospel as well. Please pray that these 50 will soon understand and obey the truth. Jack Jaco and Jonathan Carino will continue to follow-up in these teaching efforts.

At times like these, I find it impossible to express what is in my heart to those who have made this trip possible. In addition to Otey’s trials noted above, the teaching of those from backgrounds that are not sound and other challenges of teaching much material in a very limited time, we have also been dealing with some very serious situations in families that are at a critical point. With all of my heart, I believe God has made it possible for us to be here at this time by your generosity in so many ways. For my part, I want to thank you for making it possible that I can be here to do work that I believe is essential and more needed than any of us could fully comprehend. There are no words to express my thanks, but I want you to know that I feel you are every bit as much involved in doing this work as I am. Somehow, I just hope you can understand that I am so very thankful for you concern and help in every way. May God bless you all.

Brotherly, Harry O.