Thursday, January 28, 2010

First Full Day of Classes

This was the first day for a full schedule of classes, but it did not turn out that way for me. I taught the introductory lesson for two of my classes (Old Testament Prophets and New Testament Survey), but could not teach my Church History class. My sore throat and loss of voice became much worse today to the point that I can hardly talk above a whisper. I think I have a bit of a head cold with the accompanying sinus headache. So, I returned to the hotel where I am remaining totally quiet while studying for tomorrow’s classes and trying to get some rest. My problem with the throat seemed to develop at the hotel in Iloilo which smelled strongly of mold. It may not have been my best move to try and save money by staying there after all. Ron and Lordy are taking up the slack for me by extending their classes and I will make up my time when I am able to talk, the Lord willing. Until then, they are all enjoying the solitude of my silence.

There is some very good news to report among the students. As many of you know, it is not unusual in these classes for someone from a denomination to hear about these classes and approach Rody about attending. This year, one man from the Christian Church, Jess Adolfo, asked to come and was allowed to do so. Though we arrived yesterday, Rody has been having classes with these students since last Monday. Yesterday, Jess made the decision to be baptized into Christ and we rejoice in having a new brother in Christ. We have several additional students from other parts of the Philippines, some only arrived today. Three are from churches that are not sound – two from the “mutual edification” movement and one with the liberals. We will be working on those topics as well. This group of students is a joy to work with as they are very attentive and diligent.

Please excuse this short report, but I am not feeling up to writing much. May the Lord be with you in every effort to draw nearer to Him.

Brotherly, Harry O.