Sunday, March 6, 2011

Work Starts in Tuguegarao

My last report was on Friday when we left Cebu intending to travel to Tuguegarao, but our flight was canceled, causing us an unexpected stay in Manila. On Saturday, Chip and I went to the airport again to catch an 8:45am flight to Tuguegarao. Upon arrival at the gate, we found it delayed until 9:30am. Then, 9:30 became 10:00, 10:00 became 11:00, 11:00 became noon and we were told they would delay no longer than 1pm without canceling the flight for the day. Fortunately, they called for boarding near 1pm and we were very relieved. Had the flight been canceled again, we would have had no choice but to take a 16-hour, overnight bus from Manila to Tuguegarao. I have done it before and it was sheer misery!

When we arrived in Tuguegarao, Rody and Jun Gumpad were there to meet us. We loaded our luggage and headed immediately to Ilagan. I told Chip to put on his seatbelt and start praying. When Rody took off, Chip understood what I meant. (He said Lynda would have had a heart attack within minutes!) With Jehu Rody driving his chariot furiously, we made it to Ilagan in time for me to preach before the one day meeting ended. A good crowd was present that had heard several of our Filipino brethren preach throughout the day. I spoke on the fact that the seed of the gospel makes Christians and how that contrasts with what the old law made. Several were there who have been troubled and deluded by the “One Eternal Covenant” doctrine of several American non-institutional brethren and several American institutional preachers who work with them. We had a good but brief study and I hope that we will have more opportunities for detailed studies in the future. I have offered to debate the issue if any of those teaching the error have the courage to defend it.

After concluding the lectures in Ilagan, we went next door to Edgar’s house and talked for a little about the work. We then got on the road to return to Tuguegarao for supper at the Gumpad’s house. Tessie did a wonderful job cooking as usual. When we finished supper we went to the hotel, checked in and got settled for the time we will be here. I think I finally got to bed about midnight after studying a while on what I would preach the next day. Needless to say, we enjoyed the sleep, though it was not quite long enough.

The Lord’s Day worship at Metro Tuguegarao started at 8:45 with Chip taking the Bible class hour. He taught on “Speaking Plainly.” I followed in the next hour with a sermon on “The Life of Joseph.” We had a good number present and it was very good to see all of the very familiar faces. This is now the tenth year that I have been coming to Tuguegarao at least once a year.

Following another great lunch, Chip went with Jun Gumpad to Margaurig while I went with Rody and Jay to Managbag. I preached on “The Life of Sanctification” from 1 Thessalonians 4:1-7. Rody followed my lesson with a summary in the dialect. There were no responses to the gospel today, though there were individual in both places stating their growing thoughts of obeying the gospel.

Upon getting back, we went to the hotel then back to the Gumpad home for supper. Rody and Tessie have probably been the objects of as much malicious gossip as anyone, yet they continue to live with grace, dignity and faith beyond my ability to express. Their family is a testimony to who they really are and what they are really like. As I sat looking at them show their love to their children and grandchildren, it was obvious that their children and grandchildren both love and respect them. The lives of Rody and Tessie are not easy as they shoulder the burden of great care for the churches throughout this area, but I admire their work in both the church and in their family. I am thankful to count them as dear friends, loved family and co-workers in the kingdom of Christ. I feel the same towards John, Lordy and Jack with whom we worked earlier. May the Lord increase their tribe!

As I finish this report, I know that my brethren in the US are just about to start you worship. While I love the brethren and work taking place here in the Philippines, I miss being with you all and am looking forward to worshipping with you next Lord’s Day. Thank you again for your prayers, support, notes and every act of kindness that makes doing this work so much easier! God bless!

Brotherly, Harry O.