Thursday, March 10, 2011

Day 4 - Tuguegarao Lectures End


The last day of our lectures started a little earlier than before due to the shortage of time. Chip preached on “Assurance in God: Knowing That He Will Keep His Promise.” I then gave the last lesson in the series on the family, “Bible Homes: Good & Bad.” Our attendance was still very good, though a few had to return to their homes last night. The building was still almost full today and the interest was excellent. Rody closed the lectures with some additional words of admonition and encouragement.

After the lectures, we had the standard practice among brethren over here following lectures. They call it “Remembrance.” It means that everyone wants to take a photo (at least two) with their families, those from their village, those from the same province and so on. It usually takes a long while and we try to allow time for it. However, we went beyond the time and were hurrying to eat, settle expenses and get on the road. While we hurried to the airport, it was not needed in the end because the plane was delayed – another normal occurrence in planes going to and from Tuguegarao.

As I look back on this lectureship with preachers throughout this area, I am especially encouraged to see the good that I have personally seen accomplished in this area. There is a wealth of young, dedicated and very capable men preaching the gospel throughout this part of the Philippines. At my request, all who attended the Preacher Training Programs (PTP) came to take a picture together. From the first group in 2003 to the latest group in 2010, they have gone throughout the northern half of Luzon establishing new churches, converting lost souls and spreading the seed of the kingdom far and wide. To those of you that have help in making those efforts possible, your gifts and prayers have borne fruit beyond anything I could have imagined! Yes, there have been a few that have gone astray. But the strength, zeal and commitment of the vast majority gives my heart joy beyond expression!

One of the preachers in a remote area of Tabuk brought his son who has a severe deformity of a cleft palate. It makes daily life difficult, especially in the remote areas. The problem can be corrected by surgery, making possible a normal life. Though we did not have the benevolent funds to finance this operation, I wanted to let you all know of the need in case you want to help meet it. I have a signed statement from the doctor saying the cost for the operation is $1,070. My estimate is that $1200 would probably take care of the operation and medicine. If you can help meet that need, you can send funds to me or Rody Gumpad and we will arrange for the surgery to be done and paid for.

We are now in Manila, very thankful again that the plane flew and we did not have to take the bus! Chip and I ate at the Mall of Asia and then said our goodbyes. The Lord willing, he leaves early in the morning for the flight back to the US and I will go with Atoy Franco to visit Wiley Otey Pastor in the prison, then on to see Ben Cruz. Lordy Salunga and Jhun Batista are planning to join Atoy and me as well. When tomorrow’s work is finished, my schedule for this trip will be complete and I will post my last report. Thank you again for your prayers and please keep them going for Chip’s safe travel.

Brotherly, Harry O.