Thursday, March 3, 2011

Last Day in Cebu


Since we have come to Cebu, the Philippine heat has returned with all of its effects. Yesterday, I maintained my strength fairly well, but today it has really drained me. I am so thankful that Chip Foster is with me on this trip and is sharing the preaching responsibility. I do not think my voice or body could take an all-day schedule like I had in the last trip. Chip has done an excellent job in presenting plain and scriptural lessons in all of these efforts.

The last day of these lectures in Cebu City started even later than they did yesterday due to heavy traffic and other problems. After some singing led by Jack Jaco, we began about an hour behind schedule. I preached on “Salvation & the Seed, God’s Word” followed by “The Inspiration of the Scripture.” Chip then spoke on a topic I did not get to hear since I had to go out of the venue for a while.

After lunch, Roy Matta and Jun Apatan led us in singing at several points to provide Chip and I a little break as both of us were losing our voices. I gave the first lesson on “Who Is a Christian?” Chip went next with a sermon on “What Should We Look for in a Church?” I gave the last lecture on “New Testament Baptism” and then had a short question/answer period. Jonathan Carino then extended the invitation, but none came to obey the gospel. One Catholic man seems very close to obedience and told John that he will be come to services on Sunday. Several others seem to be very near the kingdom as well.

After the lectures, we had supper with an American brother (Sam) originally from Oklahoma City who now lives in Cebu. It was great to see him again and have the opportunity to visit. After supper, Chip and I met with Jonathan, Lordy and Jack to settle all expenses for the trip and the preparations made for it. We then discussed plans for future trips and what should have priority. It was a good discussion, but it went very late.

Since we must be on the road to the airport at 6:30am, I will close this report and start packing, then get to bed. The Lord willing, my next report will be from Tuguegarao. My God bless you all as you serve Him.

Brotherly, Harry O.