Sunday, November 15, 2009

Lord's Day in Angeles City

The Lord’s Day here in Angeles City has been a very good day with good opportunities for praising our God and teaching His will. Since the first worship was here in Angeles City, I was able to sleep until 6:30am, eat breakfast and be ready to go at 7:45am. As it turned out, Lordy was delayed getting me because he was tending to some other matters with brethren here. In the Philippines, there is rarely a set meeting time to which all can strictly adhere. Since most depend on unreliable public transportation going through traffic that may be badly delayed, they practice the admonition to “tarry one for another” on a regular basis. The worship that was scheduled to start at 8am actually got started about 45 minutes late. It was my second time to be with them on a Sunday.

The first hour was the Bible study. I spoke on “Faith vs. Doubt” dealing mainly with cases of “great faith” and “little faith” in the book of Matthew. The next hour was the assembly with all gathered for worship. I noticed that their services were much more like that in the US, probably due to the fact that the church has had a history of having American members during the time Clark Air Force Base was functioning. They are the only co I know of in the Philippines that uses the song book arranged by R.J. Stevens that many of us use in the US. My sermon was on “The God of All Comfort” from 2nd Corinthians 1. There were no responses and no non-Christians present as far as I know.

Towards the end of the service, Archie Alarcon arrived from the San Fernando congregation to take me to preach at their services. Since we were running behind schedule, we proceeded immediately to the building and started the services immediately after our arrival. I preached on “Be Not Weary” from Galatians 6:7-9 for the Bible study. The second hour was the assembly for the Lord’s Supper and other acts of worship. I preached during that period from Colossians 1:9-11 concerning “A Godly and Growing Life in Christ.” Again, there were no responses and no visitors of whom I was aware. Archie encouraged the brethren to attend the gospel meeting we will have at a function room in San Fernando tomorrow.

Tonight, I had an enjoyable time going out to eat with Lordy Salunga’s family. I told the family that I would treat them to supper for sharing Lordy with me and allowing him to go on the trip to help in our efforts. Lordy’s wife, Lynne, and his daughters, Tabitha and Gillian, decided they wanted to eat spaghetti or lasagna, so we went to a Sbarro’s in the mall. We enjoyed the visit, had a good meal and I still spent less than I would have for one meal here at the hotel.

After the lectures tomorrow, the Lord willing, I will be taken to Manila where I am due to Fly out early Tuesday morning going home. It has been a productive 3-week trip, but I am very tired and ready to go home! I always know it is time to go home when I get the heat rash that will not go away, but drive me crazy with the itch! It arrived on schedule about 2 days ago and is especially annoying on my neck. However, I am fortunate not to have gotten ill on this trip and I am very thankful for that fact.

Thank you again for reading these reports and encouraging the efforts being made. The Lord willing, I will write my last report from Manila tomorrow night before leaving the country. Please keep the work in this country in your prayers not only for the remainder of this effort, but in continued supplication to our Father. There is so much to be done in reaching out with the truth to those willing to listen and in training men to learn and preach the word to their fellow countrymen, going places we cannot possibly reach.

Brotherly, Harry O.