Saturday, November 14, 2009

Capas Lectures

After a very restful morning on Friday, I met Jonathan & Nanette Carino and Jack Jaco for a working lunch at the mall. We discussed needs for follow-up efforts and future plans. The fact that many doors are opening for us to preach in many places is a wonderful opportunity, but it is impossible to take advantage of all open doors. On each trip, the lectures we have produce more invitations for us to speak at denominational churches and conduct lectures with other groups of denominational preachers. It is literally impossible for us to accept all or even a small percentage of the invitations. Please pray that the Lord will guide us by His providence as we decide what to do and pray the Lord to send more laborers – the fields are truly white to harvest! After our discussions, we left for the drive to the airport through the notorious Cebu traffic. Even though the traffic was heavy, we made it with plenty of time to spare.

The flight to Clark Airport in Angeles City was without incident – the smoothest so far this trip. Lordy and several brethren were waiting for me. They dropped me at the hotel about 8:30pm. I had not eaten since an early lunch, so I was hungry. Intending to eat at the cafĂ©, I went in to find they had a buffet. It looked good until I asked the price – about $16! It will be no surprise to those that know me to find that I promptly walked out, squeaking from my tightness the whole way. I found a grilled ham and cheese sandwich available for take-out at a reasonable price, so I got it and went back to the room. Imagine my surprise when I opened the wrapped sandwich to find that a “grilled ham and cheese sandwich” was prepared with ham on the inside of the bread, but the grilled cheese on the outside! To those who are wondering, no, do not try it – murder to eat.

The lectures today were mostly attended by area preachers, but a few denominational people also were present. The venue was in Capas at a function room off of a Chowking, a fast food chain for mostly Asian foods here in the Philippines. Our morning session was over 3 hours and I spoke for the entire time on the error of Premillennialism. We broke for lunch and then I gave a 30 to 40 minute summary of the book of Revelation which I have done several times in our preacher training program and in conjunction with classes on Premillennialism. After that, I preached the “Salvation & Saul” sermon in an effort to reach those who were not yet Christians. That lesson was followed by my lesson (stolen from Jonathan Carino) on “Grace, Faith & Obedience.” This made another 3 ½ hours of preaching for me in the afternoon. The lessons were followed by an invitation, but there were no visible responses. One older lady invited by some of the members told us that she was not ready to be baptized yet, but was closer after hearing some things in the lessons that answered several of her questions.

On the way back, several of us stopped at a mall to eat at KFC so I could avoid the ridiculous prices here at the hotel. (Before I left this morning, I saw that tonight’s buffet was a seafood offering at over $20 a plate.) After getting back to the hotel, I have been writing this report and must now get to bed as soon as possible. The Lord willing, tomorrow starts at 6am so we can begin services at 8am. Thanks again for your encouragement and support in every way. God bless.

Brotherly, Harry O.