Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Lectures in Anilao

The work here on Panay Island has started fast and at full steam. We had to get an early start because our venue was about an hour and a half drive from Ilo-Ilo where we are staying. I met Ron for breakfast at 6:45am so we could be ready to leave by 7:30am. We took a taxi to the van terminal and then took the van trip to Anilao.

The area of Anilao is very remote and those gathered were all members of the Aetas tribe. There were a few denominational preachers present, but most were just members of the Baptist Church. The building was a very good structure of concrete block walls, concrete floor and a heavy metal roof. Just after we arrived, it rained hard for a few minutes, and then the sun returned in full force. From that point on, it was extremely hot! Numerous farm animals surrounded the building. The goats next to the building remained very vocal throughout the day, while several roosters took a tour through the building on occasion.

Ron started by preaching on “Jesus Came to Seek & Save the Lost.” Jack Jaco translated into the local dialect (Ilongo) for him. I followed with a lesson on “Godly Living.” Roy Matta translated into the local dialect. It was his first time to translate a lesson and he quickly learned the difficulty of the task.

At lunch, we had to go to an eating place some distance away. Since it was some distance, I rode in a non-motorized tricycle run by peddle-power. The eating spot served the local foods including a small barely-fried squid. I observed the passover on that offering and opted for a banana instead.

In the afternoon studies, Ron spoke on “When Peter Confessed Christ,” a lesson identifying the church we read about in the NT. I followed with my lesson on “Salvation and Saul.” Jack translated for both of us. The crowd of 112 from the morning count had diminished some, but the vast majority remained to the end. After my lesson on “Salvation and Saul,” an invitation was offered and none responded. Several were convinced that they needed to be baptized, but wanted to think more upon the matter before doing so.

Another two hour journey took us back to our starting place in Ilo-Ilo City. However, the two hours was divided between a bus and a taxi. We rode the extremely crowded bus for well over an hour. If you never had a back ache, you would have after that ride. Once back in town, we took a taxi to our hotel via every back road of Ilo-Ilo in order to avoid the horrible traffic wherever possible. Once back to the hotel, I had to run several errands, so my supper was delayed.

As I finish this report, I am going to the mall to look for better options in connecting to the internet. This trip has been plagued with terrible problems in connecting so that I can send reports by e-mail and post them on the blog. I will try to send this report and post today’s blog entry while out. If I can find a new method that I have heard about, it will save me some time and a lot of headaches. May the lord continue to be with you all.

Brotherly, Harry O.