Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Very Long Day (4/28)

This has been a totally exhausting day. As the schedule was set for the Cebu classes, I took an extra class which gave me 3 hour long classes every day (OT Prophets, NT Survey 1 & Church History) and another hour long class half of the time (Denominational Doctrines). With the added class Lordy had been teaching on OT Survey, I had 5 hour long classes to teach today. Two of those classes were ones for which I had to make new PowerPoint charts from scratch. The OT Survey class had to cover Ezra, Nehemiah and Esther today. Getting that presentation together took well into the night and then I still had do a new one for 1st Corinthians as well as preparing for the other classes. In short, I got three hours of sleep and then had to teach a two hour stretch in the morning followed by a three hour stretch in the afternoon. I am ready to fall into bed, but I have it all to do over tonight and tomorrow night. Ron is at the same level of exhaustion, possibly worse due to his advanced age.

The new class went well. I put a request out for material to help with the OT Survey class and received several very helpful responses. Unfortunately, I did not check my e-mail until I had finished my charts on Ezra, Nehemiah and Esther. I did go back and add some material into the presentations. My hope is that I can use some of the material I received on the remaining books (Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes and Song of Solomon) and avoid the extremely late hours tonight. However, with only two more days left, I will manage whatever is necessary because the end is in sight!

The Prophets class covered Zephaniah and Habakkuk today. We discussed the need to live by faith as taught to Habakkuk, rather than questioning God about His actions. The New Testament Survey class on 1st Corinthians covered an introduction and overview to the book. We will focus on chapters 12-14 tomorrow in discussing the nature and use of spiritual gifts. We will also try to get to a brief introduction to Revelation towards the end of class. The Church History class examined the English Reformation today as well as the history of the English versions. My part of the day’s classes concluded with the second part of the study on Premillennialism. That seemed to be the class that drew the most interest of the day.

The students continue to work hard and show great interest in the studies. After a morning devotional and time of prayer, they have four hours of classes each morning. In the afternoon, they have five hours of classes followed by a shorter period of training on the use of Bible study aids. Despite the long and tiring schedule, their interest and zeal has remained and they continue to express thanks for the opportunity they have been given to engage in these studies. Despite the intense effort involved, I am also thankful to have a part in this effort and see these men grow so much. Many thanks again to all who have helped in making it possible.