Saturday, April 4, 2009

A Full & Fruitful Day -- Saturday (4/4)

Today was an extremely busy day for me, but it was also very fruitful on several levels. It began about 4:30am as I got up to finish preparing material for 5 classes I needed to teach today. I had gone to bed early last night in order to help get rid of a cold that has been dragging on several days. I awoke this morning feeling good and back at full strength. I took the computer to the café in the hotel and worked there while eating a very good breakfast.

I began teaching this morning with my “Survey of Old Testament Prophets” class. This morning’s class was on “Inspiration” and how it works. The class was very attentive and seemed to stay with the teaching very well. There were good comments and questions which aided greatly.

In the afternoon, I had 3 different preparations as I have a heavy load of classes at the first of the training. By the middle of next week, my class load will go down some.

The “Church History” class covered the period from the beginning of the second century to the end of the Apologists. We talked about the effect of persecution upon the saints and its tendency to purify the church. We noted the fact that apostasy was very slow to develop, making only very small changes at the start. However, we saw that the fundamental problem was when Christians took their focus off of the teachings of Scripture and turned their attentions to the writings and thoughts of man.

The “New Testament Survey” class covered the books of Mark and Luke. It was difficult to condense that overview into one hour, but we tried to give an overall framework of each book showing its unique purpose, place and message regarding Jesus. The students grasped the concepts very well.

Immediately after my second class of the day, Sammy Haban came requesting that I talk with him. Sammy had been one of those in fellowship with Albert Dosngayon who has spread false charges about Rody Gumpad, myself and other faithful brethren. Sammy came to apologize for his sins against all of us and ask our forgiveness. He came to realize that there was no proof of the false charges made and spread by Albert Dosngayon in this country as well as in America. In fact, Sammy affirmed to us that Albert had falsified evidence and lied to sustain his false charges against Rody and other faithful brethren. Much harm has been done by Albert and it was good to see Sammy turn from that evil influence. We were more than glad to forgive Sammy and prayed together for his forgiveness and the use of his time and talents in working together in the cause of Christ. Sammy is writing a letter and has asked me to help in getting it to those who have been influenced by Albert Dosngayon’s false charges and slander. I promised that would help him in that effort.

The final class of the afternoon was the second part of my dealing with “Roman Catholicism” for the Denominational Doctrines series. We focused on the Sacraments, the clergy system and Mariology (the Catholic teaching about Mary). A few of the students have been converted out of Catholicism in the past and were helpful in discussing the points so that all of the students could see the Catholic teachings in these areas. We showed the contrast between each and the Bible.

After a great supper tonight (Tessie and the girls are doing their usual great job), I taught again on the use of maps as study aids. We still do not have the books, but I put various maps into a PowerPoint presentation so the students can learn the basics from seeing those examples.

With tomorrow being the Lord’s Day, we will be going to various places and preaching to congregations throughout the area. I am not sure where I am to go yet, but will find out on my ride back to the hotel. Lord willing, I will report on it at the close of the day tomorrow.