Monday, April 27, 2009

Loss Brings Change (4/27)

My schedule was somewhat delayed this morning as I will explain later. I swapped my 10am lecture slot for Ron’s 11am time. When I arrived, Ron was finishing his class and I noticed that there was some problem as Lordy left the room with a troubled look. We soon found out that his father-in-law had just passed away and his wife needed him home. Though Lordy hated to leave his part in the work, we all agreed that he needed to return for his family. Jonathan Carino immediately went to see if he could secure a flight for Lordy. After a prayer for Lordy and his family, I taught my class on the OT prophets, coving Micah and Nahum.

At the lunch break, we were able to talk with Lordy some more after he got packed to go home. His father-in-law was not a Christian, but remained in Catholicism and worldliness despite repeated efforts to reach him. Of course, this presents an even greater burden on the situation for Lordy and his wife. Lordy informed Ron and me where he was in his classes so we could take over at that point. We decided that I would take the 9am class on OT Survey and Ron would teach Lordy’s afternoon class on NT Survey. Lordy has done a great job in his classes and we are very appreciative of his efforts.

Before leaving for the airport, Lordy took the first afternoon class time and gave an overview of Hebrews that he had already prepared. I followed with three hours back-to-back on Romans, Church History (the Swiss Reformation), and the first part of my Premillennialism class for the “Denominational Doctrines” series. I will need to do the same three hour, back-to-back slot tomorrow and Thursday, plus having an added class each morning that remains. Ron will have a three hour, back-to-back schedule on Wednesday. Since Ron and I both have very strained voices at this time, we will need to be very careful not to strain to the point of losing them altogether. Another class added to our schedules will also significantly increase our preparation time for the remainder of the training.

Unusually overcast, rainy and stormy weather continues here. Last night, the electrical storm left us without power several times and repeatedly interrupted my efforts to send out the reports. Hopefully, I can get this one out before similar problems develop tonight. The blackout on Saturday turned out to be across the entire Visayas and caused numerous problems throughout the region.

For several days, there has been an ongoing saga regarding my laundry. After seeing the first laundry bill from the hotel here and how much they had gone up, I decided to have it done outside. There was a laundry place along the way to the venue promising quick service and even free pickup and delivery. However, another place close to the hotel was suggested as being “more convenient.” My laundry went in on Friday, so I thought it would be done on Saturday at the latest. (Many times it is the same day service over here for just laundry.) On Saturday, we heard the bad news that it would be delayed until Sunday. Still, I managed to scrap around for what was left over, and tried to make due. On Sunday, we found it would not be ready until Monday. By this time, it was becoming a real problem as all I had left was my sweats used for sleeping. Nonetheless, we made a plan to get them first thing Monday morning and Ron took my lecture so I could be dressed and ready to do mine in his slot. This morning, even worse news – no laundry until 5pm. Now, this left me in very serious trouble. Have you ever faced the situation of realizing every piece of clothing you have is dirty and trying to figure out which is the least dirty? Add to that the fact those clothes got dirty in an extremely hot and humid place that leaves everything drenched by the end of the day. There is no good choice in such a situation! Suffice it to say that this was not one of my most comfortable days.

Thanks again for your prayers and help in this work. We appreciate it and remember it in our prayers of thanksgiving for you each day.