Sunday, November 17, 2019

From Cebu to Masbate




On Friday, we finished the classes on 2 Corinthians by covering the last three chapters of the book. We focused on the sacrificial life of the apostle Paul as contrasted with the self-serving nature of the Judaizing teachers who opposed him. It seems strange that the Corinthians showed respect and honor towards the self-serving teachers of error more than towards Paul who had given to the Corinthians brethren so selflessly. However, much the same happens today when Christians show greater honor and respect for teachers of error than for those who teach the truth at great personal cost.

We also examined the admonitions of the last two chapters and made a number of practical applications to our work as gospel preachers. We continued to have good interest shown until the very end of the class with excellent comments and questions from the text. I was more impressed with this group of students than any we have had previously. Of course, many of them have come to previous studies and returned for this one, so they are familiar with the routine and have learned good study habits in approaching such textual classes. I believe this work is showing as many lasting results for good as any work that we have done in previous years. Now, these men are able to take the lessons back and teach others in their own dialects. The added benefit of these preachers from all over the Philippines being able to study together and grow close as brethren is also bearing much fruit. The close camaraderie so apparent is producing good in numerous ways.

After the conclusion of the class, picture-taking and farewells, I hurried back to my hotel so that I could finish packing and get on the road to the airport. Jonathan and Nanette Carino decided to take the bus to the north end of Cebu Island and catch the ferry to Masbate, but they arranged for me to fly. My plane was to take off at 10:30pm from Cebu, land in Manila just after midnight, and then connect with another flight from Manila to Masbate at 5:00am. As you might have guessed, this plane left no place for sleep during the night. Upon landing in Manila, I found out that I had to take a bus to terminal 4, the old domestic airport. I was instructed in very broken English to wait in a lobby for “over 45 minutes” and take the bus that was “red then blue then white.” A little over an hour later, a blue and yellow bus came. I asked the driver if it was the shuttle to terminal 4 and found out it was. We got to the other terminal a little before 2:00am and had to wait for the terminal to open up. Once it did, I waited in a chair possibly designed for Japanese torture for the next three hours. At that time, another bus took us to an ATR prop airplane for the hour and a half flight to Masbate. Upon arrival at Masbate, the truck or van that was supposed to meet me did not show up. One of the brethren was there, but neither of us knew the name of the hotel where I was to stay. Once we found out, the only means of transportation was a tricycle (a motorcycle with side car), which is not made for someone my size. Up exiting, I fell and hurt my leg and back, as well as my pride. At that point, however, I did not care as long as I could get a bed. I checked in and went straight to bed, not even stirring until a little after noon.

On Sunday, Jonathan, Nanette and I were met at the hotel by one of the preachers on the island, Wilson Atibagos (called “Richard” by everyone - see his picture above in the blue shirt). Jonathan had told me that he has been a very hard and effective worker on this island who had baptized about 80 people since his conversion just a few years ago. Today, we found out he had baptized 11 more just before he came to the classes in Cebu on 2 Corinthians and a new congregation has now begun with those 11 and some others baptized previously. After the hour travel in a very cramped passenger van, we made it to the congregation Richard had started in his home area. There was a brown out in that area, so they got a generator that had enough power to run the projector for the PowerPoint charts. I preached for an hour and a half on “Identifying Marks of the New Testament Church” and Jonathan then recapped to lesson at some length in the dialect.

After the lunch break, I preached another lesson on “By What Authority Do You Do These Things?” Jonathan also reviewed that lesson at length in the dialect. The lessons were all very well received and the visitors showed great interest. We talked with them and all were very friendly. With the end of the day’s studies, we headed back to Masbate City so could get in before dark. The Lord willing, we will be teaching in the same area at the meeting place of another congregation tomorrow. I am very impressed with how far the work on Masbate has come in just a few short years. When I first came here, we had an opening with one Baptist preacher whose sister-in-law and her husband had been converted in Bogo on the north end of Cebu Island.
Now, there are several sound congregations meeting!