Thursday, November 21, 2019

Stranded in Manila

Friday, Nov. 22, 2019

When our travels started on Wednesday from Masbate, we made it to Manila and expected to get to Tuguegarao by that afternoon. We were supposed to start lectures there on Thursday going through Friday. On Saturday, we were scheduled to fly back to Manila where we would stay the night before Jonathan and I would preach at the Pasay congregation on Sunday. However, all of that got changed on us while awaiting the flight to Tuguegarao.

While waiting for boarding our plane to Tuguegarao on Wednesday, a typhoon was moving through Tuguegarao and the flight was canceled. All preparations had already been made, so Rody held a gospel meeting yesterday in my place. Rody reported on Wednesday that many visitors from all around Luzon had already arrived in Tuguegarao despite worsening weather from the typhoon.  (He may be continuing the meeting today, but I have not heard anything about results yet.)

When the flight was canceled, Jonathan, Nanette and I sat down and called Rody to get the news to him as quickly as possible. We then went over our options for travel and work. I had under-estimated the costs we would have as prices have risen far more than I thought, so I had no funds available for arranging additional lectures, nor could we have arranged any on such short notice. Jonathan had work he needed to do in the Bicol region in scouting a venue for a meeting there next month, so he left to do that. I looked up prices for hotels near the meeting place in Pasay and found a very good deal for three nights to extend the reservation I already had prepaid for Saturday. Then I will move to another hotel near the airport that I had prepaid until my departure Tuesday, the Lord willing.

In the meantime, I am stuck in Manila waiting to preach at Pasay on Sunday. Leslie tried to work from home to get me a flight home on Saturday, but it would have taken a very large extra cost that I could not justify. So, I will be here until Tuesday for my scheduled flight home, the Lord willing. I have gotten some rest, done a great deal of reading, and have worked on future lessons. Tomorrow, I hope to get charts ready for my Sunday preaching, the Lord willing. Sitting here with nothing to do for three days is a new experience for me in the Philippines, but it also is nice to get more rest than normal. However, I am really looking forward to being home to Leslie and the brethren in OKC. Thanks again for all of your support and prayers. God bless!