Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Tuguegarao Lectures on Book of Revelation - 5 Baptized


This was my last day of preaching for this trip. Since Chip Foster was still not feeling well, Rody and I had worked out a way we could cover the lectures and then get to the benevolent distribution afterwards. However, our plans got changed for us when I was eating breakfast.

Jonathan Carino called after getting an email from Cebu-Pacific saying the flight that Chip and I were to take on Wednesday had been canceled just as our Tuesday flight was a few days before. That put us into a scramble to arrange for another way to get to Manila. Chip became ill again after he came to the morning session and he had to lie down until lunch. Rody was talking with the brethren affected by the typhoon to let me know about the needs in hopes we could make the process a bit easier for trying to distribute later. Chip was going to help with that task, but was unable.

After lunch, Rody had to take Chip to see what arrangements could be made and I took all lectures with only one break for one song. As for the travel arrangements, we now have reservations for what is called a “sleeper bus” from Tuguegarao that will leave Tuesday evening our time and arrive in Manila the next morning. The trip is usually 12 hours or more by bus, but they claim this one will only be 9 hours as it is a non-stop express. I must admit that, having come over here for the last 15 years, I have my doubts that this will be anything even close to a mode of luxury travel. Philippine roads make any travel on them a jarring experience.

The lectures went very well. The first lesson was an introduction to the book of Revelation that included an overview of the entire book. After one song, I used the rest of the time before lunch to teach on the letters to the seven churches. Rody came in for the latter part of that lesson and extended an invitation. Three responded to be baptized. As they were getting prepared for the baptisms, two more decided to be baptized as well for a total of five.

After lunch, I taught one lesson wherein I told the story of the Apocalypse while using PowerPoint charts to paint the “vision” as best as I could. It took about 40 to 45 minutes. I have found it to be a simple way to get the main, simple lesson across without the confusion of being bogged down in questions about whether there is a historical counterpart to each figure. I do not believe that every figure in the book is intended to represent a parallel person or event in history anymore than every element in a parable was intended to represent something. Apocalyptic literature was used to convey one main thought. In the case of this book, it seems a very plain and straightforward point is depicted – that our Lord and those who serve Him will have victory over any opposition or source of persecution, regardless of how hopeless the situation may seem during a time of deep oppression. After another one-song break, we had a good question/answer session to end our time.

After the lectures, I went immediately into Rody’s house where we set up a table to facilitate the distribution of the benevolence. We were able to give some help every congregation that was asking for assistance due to the destruction brought by the recent typhoon. Some areas are still flooded and unable to get out, but our communication with them and witnesses who had seen those areas let us set aside the amount they believed to be needed as well. Earlier in the day, we found out about a need of which I was unaware and Rody was as well. The local preacher (whom I have known and respected) came with several brothers and sisters from a remote area. They let us know that one faithful brother in Christ died during the typhoon as he was swept away by the river. His wife was left as a widow with nothing and no way to buy their food. When it was told, the brethren present wanted to help this sister and they gave about 3000 pesos (a little over $65) which I thought was pretty good as most of those present were very poor. We were able to extend additional help to her from the funds provided by very generous brethren in the U.S.

I will be sending out a report by email to those who gave in this effort, but the total I received to distribute was $10,200 (which was exchanged to 477,800 Philippine pesos). Two witnesses signed for each portion of the funds to provide a plurality of witnesses to what was given, its purpose and who was to receive the funds. All of the money was distributed to those in need and they were profuse in their thanks and requests that I relate their deep gratitude to the loving brethren in the U.S. who gave to help them in this time of calamity. All were overwhelmed and deeply moved by the level of help from their brothers and sisters across the sea. I also add my deep appreciation for the outpouring of love shown by my brethren in the U.S.

Please keep us in your prayers that we might have safety in our travels. The APEC summit in Manila seems to have the city in near gridlock with many roads closed and a very high level of security evident. I am not sure I will be able to do the logistical work I had planned for Thursday, but will give it a try. Chip and I both are looking forward to flying back home later this week, the Lord willing.