Saturday, November 14, 2015

Romans Class Ends -- Tuguegarao Begins


Friday, November 13, 2015

The last day of class was very difficult for me. After writing the Thursday report, I went to the hotel services to ask if there was a place I could find out if I was running a fever since I was certain that had one. To make a long story short, a doctor staying at the hotel overheard me and went to his room to get one of those hand-held things they use to roll across the head used at doctor’s offices to check temperature. It read 102 and he noted that my lymph nodes were enlarged. After I told him what antibiotics that I had, he agreed that I should take the Cipro which I had already done. Though I felt even worse with increased cold symptoms on Friday morning, we were able to go on with the study and complete it.

We started with Romans 14 in the morning session and covered through Romans 15:13 before breaking for lunch. It was noted that the passage had a long history of abuse by those justifying a non-biblical broadening of fellowship to include doctrinal errors and sinful practices. In order to understand the kind of differences addressed in the passage, we examined the text itself, especially noting Paul’s framing of the differences. They readily saw how the context clearly shows the nature of the differences under consideration were those things wherein (1) no inherent sin was involved in the differing actions, (2) God had received those engaged in both sides of the differing actions, (3) there was liberty to do or not do the practices named, thus, (4) matters that were indifferent to God. We noted the commands to both the “weak” and the “strong” make these conclusions obvious.

In the afternoon session, we studied from Romans 15:14 to the end of the book. We took added time on Romans 15:22-29 wherein the issue of benevolence to the poor saints at Jerusalem in discussed. We noted the obvious conflict with the passage’s teaching and that of those in institutional church that advocate benevolent assistance from the church treasury to saints and alien sinners alike. We also dealt with the closing greetings and admonitions to bring our studies to a close.

Afterwards, the students were given an opportunity to express their thoughts on the week of studies. The comments were all extremely favorable with enthusiastic remarks about their hopes for future studies on other books. Each one expressed both in the class setting and in private comments that they wanted the American brethren who had given to make the classes possible that they appreciated it greatly. It was a very uplifting and edifying week for all of us who had a part in the studies. I also wish to thank all of those who helped make these classes possible. Instead of the 30 we had planned to attend the classes, we ended up having 45 or more daily. This overshot my budget by a little more than $1500, but I believe the benefit was worth the additional cost. Some of the higher costs were also due to higher prices in the aftermath of the recent typhoon that devastated the main rice growing area in the Philippines. I am trying to make funds stretch as far as possible by cutting expenses wherever possible and living on an even tighter budget for the rest of the trip.

Immediately after the end of the classes on Romans, Jonathan and Kristofer Carino joined me in going to receive several MoneyGrams and get all the funds sent for benevolence converted into Philippine pesos since the exchange rate is more favorable in Cebu than in northern Luzon where I was headed. It took a long time and the red tape was frustrating, but we got it done. I had another long night to get the funds set in order and catch up on all of the correspondence that had come in regarding the benevolent relief being sent to brethren so severely affected by the recent typhoon that hit central and northern Luzon.


Saturday, November 14, 2015

After another night with less than 3 hours of sleep, today was given to travel with a flight from Cebu to Manila followed by another to Tuguegarao. Jerome Forelo attended the classes on Romans and accompanied me in the travels of the day. We were at the airport about 7am for a flight to leave a little after 8am. We got in to Tuguegarao after 2pm. Jerome’s wife, Kathy (daughter of Rody Gumpad) and their 2 younger children met us at the airport along with Mark, another son-in-law to Rody. Mark took me to the hotel where I immediately crashed in the bed. I awoke after an hour and a half nap to my fever breaking. I am still a bit washed out, but it is obvious that the antibiotic is taking affect. Kathy Forelo is also a doctor and she confirmed a couple of hours ago that my fever was almost gone. I plan to hit the bed after sending this report out and getting the first full night of sleep for the week!


Thanks again for your prayers and concern! God bless!