Saturday, November 7, 2015

Gospel Meeting in Cebu City


Since this is my first update on the work for this trip, I will include a summary of some travel notes. I left the U.S. last Tuesday after my typical all-night packing and preparations routine. Though I must admit such is not necessarily planned, I have come to think it helps me be able to sleep much better on the flight over. After sleeping most of the 2-hours between Oklahoma City and Detroit, I got on the 13-hour flight from Detroit to Tokyo and slept all but about 2 hours of it. Thinking I would be awake for the 4 hour trip to Manila, I actually ended up sleeping most of it and was startled awake by our landing. I think this was the easiest trip yet!

Chip Foster and I joined up in Detroit, but were separated by some distance in seating on both flights from that point. We did eat at the airport in Tokyo and took the same ride to our hotel, but got very little chance to visit on the trip. However, we ate a long breakfast on Thursday morning before Chip had to leave on a noon flight to Tuguegarao to begin his work. I had logistical work to do in Manila that kept me in taxis for almost the whole day due to traffic in virtual gridlock. I finally got back to the hotel a little before 8pm and had another good night of sleep.

On Friday, my flight to Cebu was due to leave about noon, but was delayed 2 hour by air traffic control. When I arrived in Cebu, it took another 1:45 to get to the hotel due to traffic here. There is a pattern that seems to be developing! That evening, Jonathan and Nanette Carino had me into their home for a great supper and I was able to visit with all of their children as well. Jonathan’s Dad and Mom were also in from Pagadian and it was wonderful to see them!

We started the preaching today with an all-day Gospel Meeting at the assembling place of the brethren in central Cebu City where Jonathan Carino preaches. The members of that congregations as well as members from about 5 or 6 congregations in the area were present. Several had asked their non-Christian friends and neighbors to come, so we had 6 visitors who had not obeyed the gospel. There was good attention throughout the day.

For the first lesson this morning, I preached on “Foundations of Faith” followed by “An Introduction to the Gospel.” In the afternoon, we first considered a lesson on “Pictures from a Parable” that focused on principles pictured in the Parable of the Prodigal Son. We closed with a study on “Living in Hope” from Philippians 3:12-14. There were no responses to the invitation, but none were expected as the visitors were all new to the hearing of the gospel and more teaching will be needed before they could truly obey it. In all, it was a very good start to our work!

At the noon break, I talked with Leslie and found out that my Mom had to go to the hospital due to chest pains. They did not know the nature of the problem at that point and I have not heard anything else yet. The brethren here are praying for her full and quick recovery and I would appreciate your prayers for her as well. It is extremely troubling to be so far away when something like this happens. I wish I was home to help, but I know Leslie and our brethren of the 84th Street congregation will take care of her. My brother, Ken, had already planned to come see Mom next weekend so I trust that will also lift her spirits and help her feel better.

Tomorrow, I will be worshipping with the brethren in central Cebu City, the Lord willing. In the afternoon getting ready for the classes starting on Monday as well as other work to be done on this trip. Most of the men attending the classes on Romans are scheduled to arrive tomorrow, but a few are coming in tonight. Please pray for their safe travels

Thanks again for your concern, support and encouragement in this work. Please keep us in your prayers as you all remain in mine. God bless!