Friday, November 7, 2014

Getting Started

Please excuse the absence of reports for the past few days. I have been fighting a bug that I was battling at home before leaving and it has zapped my energy level. Hopefully, I am over the worst as I have started an antibiotic that I always carry for such situations.

Monday and Tuesday were travel days, as I left OKC at 6:00am and arrived Tuesday night in Manila. The flights were fairly rough most of the way making rest more difficult. Due to winds, our flight path was much farther west than normal which left us in Russian airspace for a long period of time. Given their recent actions, that was not the most comforting route to take.

Wednesday was spent entirely in my hotel room battling the bug and watching election results. Fortunately, the hotel had Fox News channel, so I was able to follow the returns coming in on your Tuesday night while it was Wednesday morning for me. Those who know me know the results had a very positive effect on my spirits!

Thursday, I preached in lectures at the building of the congregation in Pasay where Rody Gumpad labors. It is on the fourth floor of a building with no elevator. The studies were designed for preachers in the Manila area. I spoke about “The Sermon on the Mount” for about 3 hours total in the morning. The lessons were designed to show that Jesus was announcing the principles of His new kingdom and law in that sermon, not merely explaining Old Testament law. In the afternoon, I presented a shorter lesson on “Why We Do Not Burn Incense in Worship Today.” Of course, the lesson was really aimed at showing the problem with instrumental music in worship today with the burning of incense being used only to present parallel arguments that all could readily see as false. We ended the session with an extensive Question/Answer period. Immediately after the lectures, I left for the airport and flew to Cebu, arriving late. After a very late supper, I hit the bed exhausted.


Friday (today) was spent in Mandaue, a part of the greater Cebu City area. Brother Roy Matta preaches there and it is always good to be with him and his family. During the morning, I presented two sermons on “Salvation and the Blood of Christ,” an extensive examination of how, when and why we are saved by the blood of Christ. In the afternoon, I preached on “Foundations of Faith” with Hebrews 11:1-3 serving as the starting point for the study. The day ended with a lesson on “She Has Done What She Could” from Mark 14 showing why the actions of this woman were exemplary. There were a few non-Christians present for the studies, but none responded at the invitation.