Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Work in Masbate and on to Leyte (11/10-11/12)

Since I have not had an internet connection since Sunday night, my reports have been delayed. Please excuse this longer report as I catch up with the last three days’ events.

Monday

We had a 3am wake-up call this morning to start our trip to Masbate. By 4am, we were at the airport checking in for our flight to Legazpi which is in the Bicol region at the southern end of Luzon. The cancellation of our flight to Masbate necessitated this alternate route. When we landed in Legazpi a little after 6am, I was amazed by the sight awaiting us as we deplaned. I had heard about the beauty of the Mayon volcano there, but had never seen it. I did not expect to be so close to it, nor for it to be even more beautiful than I had heard. It is truly a spectacular sight which cannot be accurately conveyed by a picture. It has also been under warning for eruption for the past 6 weeks.

While I knew we had to go two hours on a fast-craft to get to Masbate, I did not know we had to drive an hour and a half by taxi at break-neck speed, dodging traffic all of the way, in order to get to the port which is in an area far away from the airport. When we got to the boat just before it left at 8am, we found out it was sold out with no tickets available. The next boat was to depart at noon. Taking it would have meant we lost one whole day of teaching, so I suggested we offer double the fare for two wanting to sell their tickets and take the next boat. We finally got tickets and were ready to go.

When we started to get on the boat, I was expecting it to be like the large, dual-hulled fast-crafts that I have taken many times before. Wrong again! It was about the size of a small yacht, but one built in the 40’s and not in very good shape. Onto that boat, about 150 or more people were squeezed in! I sat on a row that would have seated three small people, but it was for four. A bar went down my back about half way between my left side and backbone, while I held on to my two bags stacked in the isle to my right. It was a long two hours and I arrived in pain!

Upon arrival in Masbate City, the luxury tour continued :-). There are no taxis in the city, so I got in the sidecar of the “tricycle,” while Jonathan sat behind the driver on the motorcycle seat with our luggage tied all over it. This was to be our only mode of transportation for the two days there. As you may see on the picture in the blog, I am not exactly the ideal size for the Philippine tricycles. Nevertheless, after a longer ride than I would have liked, we made it to the hotel. Unfortunately, however, it was not the hotel we had asked for, but one substituted by the mistake of a local contact. I am sure I have seen a less clean room somewhere, but I cannot remember when. I assure you that you do not want to see what was on my sheets! One look at the shower confirmed that a fungus was among us. There was so much hair on the floor that one could have made a Dolly Parton wig — except it was black. On the positive side, the lights were so dim it was difficult to see any further details. We had no choice but to stay there one night and switch to another hotel the next day.

Since the brethren knew we would be late due to the alternate travel plans, they arranged for us to start after lunch. The venue was at a Jollibee, the Philippines version of McDonald’s, in the downtown area of Masbate City at an upstairs event room. I preached first on “Salvation and the Seed of God’s Word” from 1 Peter 1:22-25 followed immediately by “God’s Use of Prophets,” a lesson on the inspiration of Scripture. Jonathan then preached his lesson on “Why Are People Lost?” I then gave a final lesson on “Salvation and Saul” that deals with the conversion of Saul, showing he was saved at the point of water baptism (not at the point of faith only, repentance & prayer, a personal appearance of Jesus, or receiving a miracle). There seemed to be very good interest shown by several non-Christians who were visiting. We pray that they will be be back tomorrow as the lectures continue.

Tuesday

The lectures this morning started at 9am. I preached an extended lesson on “The New Testament Church” discussing its nature and how we identify local groups of saints that show the characteristics of those approved by God in the New Testament. Jonathan followed with a lesson on “Grace, Faith and Obedience.” 

After the lunch break, Jonathan continued with the second part of his lesson dealing with “Where Are the Obedient Found?” I then preached on “Cornelius and Salvation” and followed it immediately with a lesson on “The Blood of Christ and the Salvation of the Sinner.” Jonathan followed those lessons with some words of encouragement about the need to obey the gospel as well as the need to count the cost before doing so. He then extended the invitation and three responded to be baptized into Christ for remission of sins.

After the lectures, we went to the new hotel and the hope of a good night’s sleep. My first indication that the plan might not materialize as hoped came when there was a literal swarm of mosquitoes over my bed and in the bathroom. I was offered a different room, which I took, and it had far fewer mosquitoes. When I tried to go to sleep, however, there was a very loud “music” that kept going until almost one o’clock in the morning. Since I had to get up at 4am to get ready for the early flight, I got very little sleep for the second night in a row.

Wednesday

We left for the airport at 5am for our flight back to Manila. The plane was a small Bombardier prop job. It took off on a runway that ran at a noticeable downhill angle ending at the bay. Fortunately, we were off of the runway shortly before meeting the sea. Upon arrival in Manila, we claimed our bags, went upstairs, and checked in for the flight to Cebu on a different airline. On our way to the gate, we ran into Rody and Tessie Gumpad who were flying back to Tuguegarao. After briefly talking with them, we were off on the flight to Cebu. Upon arrival at Cebu, we claimed our bags and hurried upstairs to meet Jonathan’s wife and youngest daughter who had brought our bags left behind. Since the flight to Tacloban was also on a very small plane, we pulled out the dirty clothes, exchanged them for clean ones and hurried to meet our next flight. We made it with a little time to spare and were off on our last leg for the day to Tacloban on Leyte.

When we arrived at Tacloban airport, the pilot made the quickest stop I have ever experienced because half of the runway is still under construction from Super-typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan). The airport buildings looked far better than last November, immediately after the storm, or even in January when I came for the benevolent distribution. However, I was saddened by the horrible destruction still apparent all over the city. On the drive in from the airport, I counted only four new buildings. Hundreds still showed much damage. Some businesses are starting to open (several said they had reopened in October), but far more were still closed. We passed one very large arena where about 2000 children were brought because they believed it to be a safe shelter. All perished. We are staying in the hotel where we have stayed for years when coming to this area. It is the one shown on American television with what appeared to be a river coming down the spiral staircase. Though it has reopened, numerous scars remain obvious. It is clear that the economy of this area will remain bad for some time to come. Please continue to keep these brethren in your prayers.

The Lord willing, we will leave at 7am tomorrow for the drive south to Sogod, a new work. The preacher who is laboring there has come out of denominationalism and has been on fire in spreading the gospel. In the past 90 days, he has baptized 103 people! Jonathan is amazed at his ability to find souls that are searching and bring them to the truth. He is studying diligently as well as he seeks to answer the questions he faces from those with whom he has contact. I look forward to a fruitful day with him and those he is able to gather! God bless!