Thursday, September 25, 2014

Two Baptized in Piat, Cagayan


Our last day of preaching in northern Luzon was with the Aquib church in Piat, Cagayan. (The path to the building requires a bit of a climb.) Brother Dennis Yuson preaches with the congregation. Dennis is a very faithful man who has served the Lord with great zeal and sacrifice all of the time that I have known him. He has recently lost all of his support because it was all coming from a congregation that has helped for many years, but is unable to continue. He is now in great need, but continues an exemplary work.

After a period of singing, I gave the first lesson on “Salvation and the Seed - God’s Word.” It was a fundamental lesson showing that the gospel of Christ is where we must go for all authority in religious practice today. Since Piat is one of the biggest strongholds for Catholicism in the Philippines, I thought that was the best place to start our studies for the day. Jerome Forelo summarized the lesson into Tagalog, which is the national language. Rody followed with a lesson on “Heed God’s Warnings.” At the end of the lesson, he extended an invitation and two young ladies responded to confess their faith and be baptized into Christ.

Following the lunch break, I preached on “If I Obey the Gospel, I Will…” It was a very fundamental, first principles lesson on the plan of salvation. Edgar Licodini summarized the lesson into the Ilocono dialect which is spoken by many in this area. Rody ended the studies for the day with a lesson from James 4 on “This Is Your Life.” After that lesson, he again extended the invitation, but there were no more visible responses.

It was so extremely hot today and we felt totally washed out by about 4pm when the meeting ended. Both Rody and I are also having a great deal of problems with our voices and a bothersome cough. I will be happy to sleep in a little tomorrow as my flight to Manila does not depart until about 1pm. Rody and Tessie say they will also enjoy the rest. How Rody does this week after week in an almost continuous motion of preaching in so many places is beyond me. He and Tessie have my admiration for all they do in the kingdom!

We ended the day with a final meal at the Gumpad’s home. To their children and grandchildren, I am “Papa Bear” and I enjoy the time with them so very much. One of Mark and Joy’s children is a girl named for my Leslie! It was a good way to end our work together.