Monday, September 19, 2011

Two Baptized in Lapu-lapu

Monday’s schedule was in Lapu-lapu, a district in the metropolitan area of Cebu City. Brother Pablo Espinoza preaches in that place and continues to do a good work as he has for many years. They meet in a very basic building at the edge of the sea. Nevin and Judy Cox provided the funds to build the initial building. Due to growth over the past few years, they have enlarged it some and continue to keep it up very well. The meeting house and the dwellings in the neighboring area are all built up on coral rocks. At high tide, the sea rises to cover every low area and only the built up places and walkways are passable. The aroma of the seaside is ever present.

Due to my voice being very weak and my increasing back pain, as well as the traffic situation in that area, we decided it would be good to “abbreviate” the schedule for today. (I put that in quotes because I doubt that many in the US would consider meeting for over 2 hours before lunch and about 3 hours after lunch an “abbreviated” schedule!) We had about 40 to 50 present for the studies today and many were not very skilled in English, so we decided to have a detailed summary after each lesson I preached. I first preached on “What Makes a Religious Practice Right or Wrong?” Mario Rubio, from Dumaguete, gave the summary of that lesson. After the lunch break, I preach on “Narrow-Minded Truth in a Broad-Minded World” from Matthew 7:13-14. Fred Ogario gave the summary for that study.

At the end of the day, an invitation was extended to encourage any who wanted to obey the gospel to do so. Roy Matta, who had led the singing all day, also gave the invitation. One young man and one young lady responded to confess Christ and be baptized into Him. We are thankful for their decision and pray others will soon follow.


In June of this year, Pablo’s son had an accident. His head was badly injured and a large portion of his skull on the right side was removed – due to swelling as I understand it. That portion of the skull has been implanted in his abdomen until it can be re-implanted to his head. As in all cases here, the doctors will not do the surgery until payment is secured. The cost will be about $800. If anyone is able to help towards this amount, please let me know and I will help you in getting the funds sent to meet this need.

Tomorrow, the Lord willing, I will fly to Manila and will have no schedule of preaching due to the travel. On Wednesday, I am scheduled to preach at the prison with Willie Pastor. I will not be writing a report tomorrow, but will make my next report on Wednesday if the Lord wills. Thank you again for your support and prayers.

Brotherly, Harry O.