Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Travel & Prison Work - 3 Baptized at Prison

Tuesday was a travel day that ended very restfully. After settling all expenses for the trip to that point with John and Jack in the morning, I took a taxi to the airport in Cebu. There was a great deal on walking up and down steps in the airport, a long hike on the tarmac to the plane, and a steep climb up Filipino-size steps to the airplane. With my back and hip already giving me a great deal of trouble, it was a challenge. When I got to Manila, it would only figure that we arrived at the gate on the far end away from baggage claims. By the time I got to the hotel, I took a shower and crashed in the afternoon, sleeping for about 12 or 13 hours until the morning!

Kenneth Pastor was unable to get permission for a full day schedule at the prison since there is a new administrator. We had an afternoon session that was held in the Catholic chapel again, just like last time. They would not allow my camera, so I have posted on the blog a few old pictures from last time there. A few minutes after we got started, we had a brown-out and never regained electricity. I preached from 1 Peter 1 on “The Message, Means & Meaning of Salvation.” (For those in OKC, it will be the sermon for the third hour next Sunday, the Lord willing.) Willie translated the sermon into Tagalog for the audience. Lordy Salunga came at my invitation as well so that he could preach in Tagalog. His lesson was also on first principles regarding the plan of salvation. At the invitation, three made known their decision to be baptized into Christ.

After the meeting, I was able to convey the message to Willie regarding the commitment of some dear friends in the Fort Worth area that agreed to help him. He was relieved beyond expression because the one who had been supporting him had suddenly stopped 3 months ago and has not been in contact. Since the sister is of advanced age, Willie and his wife, Kathy, are very concerned about this sister’s well-being as well as the hardships they have experienced due to a lack of funds.

Just to let you know what kind of man Willie is, I thought you might like to know something I saw. Willie was off to the side talking with a man from the medium security prison who had no shoes. Willie quietly took off his shoes and socks, giving it to the man privately without ever saying a word. I saw it, however, and was talking to the guard and told him what happened. The guard smiled and said that is the way Willie is, always helping others by giving to them. No, giving is not a duty just of the greatly blessed, but is result of a heart that is ready to share whatever it has – little or much. My life has been forever changed by many examples of faith and service seen by numerous Filipino brethren. Yes, there are a few bad apples, but they are far outnumbered by the many dedicated and faithful servants of God!

One quick note, Kenneth Pastor works as an engineer here in the Philippines as well as working in the prisons. Kenneth’s salary is modest, but able to take care of his family. However, the costs associated with the prison work are beyond his ability to absorb. From what I can see of costs, about $100 per month should meet those costs at this time. If you are able to help, please let me know.

Tomorrow is my last full day in the Philippines, the Lord willing. I plan to use it getting ready for Sunday services at home and resting before my flight back home on Friday. Please keep the Lord’s work over here and my travels in your prayers.

Brotherly, Harry O.