Monday, April 22, 2019

CEBU: Lord's Day & Start of Classes


4/21/19

On the Lord’s Day, Jonathan and his family came to pick me up from the hotel and we went to the LUYM building in downtown Cebu City where the church in the center of the city meets. In the first hour, they have the assembly worship. Kristoffer Carino led the singing in a very capable way while other men also led in other aspects of worship. I was asked to preach for that hour and delivered a lesson of the “Qualities of the Gospel” from 1 Peter 1:22-25. That is, the gospel will always endure, will always live (or be relevant) and will always be the message of salvation. In the class hour, we took our text from Matthew 25:1-12 and considered the need to be prepared “Before the Door Is Shut.”

In the afternoon, I intended to do some work on charts for Monday before returning for the evening worship. However, I became very ill and was unable to work that afternoon or return for worship that evening. It was very upsetting for me to be unable to attend that night because I was looking forward to hearing Kristoffer Carino give the sermon at that time. They did record it, so I will be able to listen later, the Lord willing.

4/22/19

I awoke Monday feeling some better and was able to drink a cup of coffee and eat some granola. Jonathan and Nanette, the driver, came to pick me up about 11:30am so we could get to the LUYM building that is to serve as our venue for the classes this week. Those traveling from various places had made it there for us to start by about 12:30pm. We covered introductory material as well as the first two chapters of 1st Corinthian. I stopped at about 4:30pm so Jonathan Carino and Lordy Salunga could take questions on the material covered and explain in their dialects things that the students may not have comprehended from my teaching in English. I returned back to the hotel where I will rest tonight and, hopefully, get back to full strength by the start of classes tomorrow morning at 8am. Please excuse me for not remembering to take pictures of the classes today. I will try to do so tomorrow.

The great advantage to the hotel where I am staying this week is that travel time has been cut from at least an hour and a half to just 10-15 minutes! I think I have found the place I will use until another hotel is built even closer.