Sunday, November 4, 2018

From Start of Trip to Lord’s Day in Tuguegarao



This trip began like no other. As Leslie and I were on the way to the airport a little after 5am, we had a blow out while going through Mustang. Knowing that Steve and Christy Cook have businesses there, I called Steve to see if he could take me on to the airport. Since Christy was much closer, she gave me a ride to the airport, so I was able to make the flight and begin the journey. I greatly appreciate Steve and Christy for helping as they have done so many times throughout our years in OKC. I was sorry to leave Leslie with the hard part of waiting for AAA to show up, change the tire and then go to get a replacement tire. It is one of the thankless tasks of a preacher’s wife that Leslie has done throughout our shared lives in making it so much easier for me to do the work that I must do. She is the love of my life and the greatest helper I have in this world.

After a 25-hour journey, I arrived in Manila late on Thursday night. After getting very little sleep on the three plane rides, I was glad to get a good night’s sleep in the hotel. The next morning (Friday), Rody Junior (Gumpad) came to the hotel for the two bags of class material that needed to be shipped to Tuguegarao and Angeles City. Junior shipped them by bus at the suggestion of his father. It not only was much cheaper, but also arrived quicker than it might have by air freight, since that has come to be held for days before the airline finally gets it on a plane. So, by the time I arrived in Tuguegarao on Saturday, the class material had already arrived. (Lordy Salunga also confirmed that the class material for Angeles City had arrived the previous day.)

When I got to the airport in Manila to take the flight to Tuguegarao, Jonathan and Nanette Carino had already arrived from Cebu. We then flew together on the same plane to Tuguegarao. Rody and Tessie Gumpad as well as their son-in-law and daughter, Jerome and Kathy Forelo, were there to greet us and take us to the hotel. Rody and Tessie had just arrived a little earlier in the day from an extended trip for Gospel meetings in other parts of the Philippines. We agreed on the need to take an early rest so we could be refreshed for the Lord’s Day. So, we ate an early supper and got to bed.

After Jonathan, Nanette and I had our breakfast, Jerome picked us up from the hotel and took us to the meeting place of the Metro Tuguegarao congregation. Jonathan gave the lesson for the class period. He spoke on “The Lord’s Supper” and gave an excellent analysis of passages dealing with the subject. It was a very good study of the topic and our responsibilities in properly partaking of it. I followed with a lesson on “Spiritual Weakness: Causes & Cure” during the assembly. There were no visible results, but the brethren seemed to appreciate the lesson and expressed their thanks. The attendance was good, though several were sick or out of town that are normally there. It is always a joy for me to be in Tuguegarao as I have worked with the brethren in this congregation since my very first trip to the Philippines, as is also the case with the congregation in downtown Cebu City.


After services, we had a very good lunch with the Gumpads. Tessie always cooks foods that she knows I love, but I tried hard to control my portions! (I am not going to give a report on how I did in that task!) After lunch, Jonathan went with Rody to preach at the Alibago congregation. I decided not to go with them or any of Rody’s sons who preach in other places so that I could concentrate of the studies starting tomorrow. The Lord willing, we will be in all-day classes on 1st and 2nd Peter as well as a late afternoon study on the subject of “The Errors of Premillennialism.” I will try to give daily updates on these classes that are to conclude on Friday.