Friday, November 16, 2018

Finish in Angeles City - On to Cebu


5/15/16

The classes on 1st Timothy through Titus ended yesterday on schedule in Angeles City. We covered the three chapters of Titus in the three hours we had for study. Some of the material from chapter one had already been covered when we discussed the work and qualifications of elders, bishops or pastors. Several other parts of Titus were a restatement of points made in the two letters to Timothy, so we did not go into detail again on those matters either. We had a more in depth focus on the second half of chapter two as well as the third chapter. Towards the end of our time, I took time to give special emphasis on the nature of teaching that Paul characterized as “sound doctrine” as well as the need to make sure our lives are consistent with that “sound doctrine” in every way with respect to our morals, diligence of preparation, honesty, fellowship, depth of study and sincere faith.


When we ended the class, I still needed to go back to the hotel and pack quickly so that we could make the extended checkout time we had arranged. We ended up beating it by ten minutes. While we were checking out, Lordy took Rody and Tessie Gumpad to the bus so they could get to Pasay where he is to preach Sunday. He then returned for the rest of us and we went to the adjacent mall so I could get something for lunch. All of the others had already eaten and I knew it would be too late to eat when we got to Cebu. I ended up getting into my hotel in Cebu a bit after 10pm and promptly hit the bed. The bed felt fantastic!

11/16/18

Today was a rest and preparation day. The first half of the day was spent catching up on sleep and relaxing. Throughout the afternoon, I have been getting ready for the all-day lectureship with the denominational group visited on the last trip to Cebu. If you followed the reports on that trip, you might recall that I preached on “The Inspiration of the Scripture” for that group on a Sunday morning. Just before this trip, they called Jonathan asking if I could preach again and we readily agreed. After I had already left home, they asked if I could teach in some Saturday classes on “The Holy Spirit.” We agreed to give a full day of classes on the subject and they are providing their building for the venue. Please keep this effort in your prayers!


Several at home have asked about the problem I have had with my right leg and foot. It is still swelling some, though less than before. However, the pain is still there. When I return back to Manila on Sunday afternoon, I plan to go see Dr. Teresa Toreja (the daughter of the late Ben Cruz) who is an excellent doctor. The main thing I want to verify is that there is no blood clot causing the problem. Hopefully, it will be a minor problem that I can take care of after I return home. Thanks for the prayers on this as well!