Sunday, May 10, 2015

Lord's Day Work


Having had a full night’s sleep, I started the Lord’s Day refreshed and ready to go. Roy Matta met me at the hotel and we took a taxi to his place where the meeting place and his house are built together. The taxi ride turned out to be the most challenging part of the day. The driver was another one of those trying out for NASCAR. After the demonstration of recklessness and road rage had become unbearable, I informed him that I was far more concerned that we reach our destination safely than getting there in record time! (He looked the part as well with a haircut approximating the appearance of a Pawnee on the warpath!) He slowed down marginally after my objection.

When we got to the meeting place in Mandaue, we began the services after a few minutes. I taught on the “Penitential Psalms” in the class hour, especially Psalms 32 and 51. At Roy’s request, I preached on “Provisions from God’s Word” in the second hour. There were six visitors present that had come to previous services, so Roy extended an invitation, but there were no responses. The taxi ride back to the hotel was decidedly more tame and for that, I am thankful.


My afternoon was spent in preparations for the classes on Hebrews to begin tomorrow morning, the Lord willing. At 6pm, we had a service with the men that had already arrived for the classes at the meeting place of the congregation in central Cebu City where we were yesterday. I preached on “Properly Preaching the Gospel” at that time.

It has been a full day between services and working on class material for tomorrow. Please keep us in your prayers that the work may be effective in helping equip these men to better proclaim the Gospel.