Monday, November 5, 2012

Lectures in Dumaguete - Two Baptized


This was an extremely busy day, from beginning to end. Jonathan and Jack were due to pick me up from the hotel at 4:30am, so I set my alarm at 3:45am, giving me plenty of time to get ready and to finish packing. Actually, I guess I should say that I thought I set my alarm for 3:45am because I set the time, but moved the switch barely passed the alarm setting, so it did not go off. At 4:20am, I got a message from Jonathan that he was 10 minutes away from the hotel. I have never gotten ready and packed faster in my life and we made it out the door at 4:45am. The drive to the airport was fairly free of traffic at that hour, so we made it with time to spare. By “time to spare,” I mean that after having my essential morning cup of coffee, we made it to the gate to be the last ones on the bus taking us to the turbo-prop plane for the 20-minute flight to Dumguete.

After arriving in Dumaguete, we proceeded to the hotel where we had today’s venue. The lectures were, rather typically, running on what we call “Filipino time” – they started about an hour and a half late as the audience was very slow to arrive. After an opening song and prayer, I preached back-to-back lessons on “Salvation & the Seed, the Gospel” and “God’s Inspiration of His Word.” That consumed all of the time for the morning session, so we broke for an abbreviated lunch time.

After a little more than 30 minutes, we began the afternoon session with another song and prayer. The first lesson was on “Salvation & Saul.” We had three denominational preachers (a Baptist, a Methodist and a Pentecostal) who listened very carefully and respectfully. At times they even showed a stunned agreement, nodding their heads, as they saw the clarity of God’s truth refuting their “Faith Only” doctrine. We noted the doctrine was in conflict with the example of Saul’s conversion and many other NT passages. Jonathan then presented a lesson on “The Establishment of the Church.” One of the denominational preachers left at that point, but he seemed very disturbed over what he had heard. I closed the lectures with a lesson on “Faith, Grace and Obedience.”

Jonathan then extended the invitation and a song was led. No one came forward at that time, but before we had a closing prayer, two ladies made known their desire to obey the gospel. Brother Mario Rubio, who preaches in the Dumaguete area, asked them to confess their faith in Christ and they did so. Mario and several of the brethren then took them to be baptized into Christ.

We are staying in the hotel here in Dumaguete tonight. In the morning, the Lord willing, Jack will take the bus back to his home while John and I fly back to Cebu and connect with another flight to General Santos City. Please keep us in your prayers for safe travel. We have no preaching schedule tomorrow due to the extended travel time.