Saturday, January 14, 2012

Report for Iligan City (Thurs, Jan 12)



Due to my illness starting Thursday morning, I was not able to go for the distributions on that day, but was taken to a hotel in town where I stayed until time to go back to Cagayan de Oro. Chip Foster accompanied Jonathan Carino, Edgar Samadal and Jhun Carpentero in the work for that day. Below is Chip's report for the activities of the day:

The past two days have been very trying but very rewarding. Yesterday we traveled to Iligan to the Santiago church of Christ. Jun drove us in the rented van and showed us some of the places that were flooded along the way. I have never personally witnessed the aftermath of any natural disaster so I have few words to truly describe what I have seen.

Bro. Jonathan Carino has been instrumental in organizing the relief efforts and along with Jun Cip and Edgar Samodal and others the relief and aid has gone to the right places and provided necessities to those who desperately need it. The supplies that were to be distributed were sent to the Santiago church in Iligan and then dispersed to the various congregations from there. Simple things like a wok pan and a blanket to toothpaste and rice have been purchased with the funds sent by so many Christians. To those of you who sent aid it has been well spent and has provided those who have both lost little and much comfort.

The first church we went to yesterday was the church of Christ in Mandulog. this church is outside of Iligan in the mountain area. To me it is a jungle. The variety of vegetation is without scale. We drove on a rock infested mud road to get to the congregation. The land is beautiful. When we arrived at the place where the church meets the members were all gathered waiting for us. they had walked through the jungle some for great distances. The new church building was under under construction and this is where the members gathered. The previous building was destroyed by the flood along with the preachers house.

I witnessed the distribution of 51alotments of 25 kilogram bags of rice and small grocery bags filled with necessities. There were also 4 in Mandulog who belongings were washed away and they received others items such as blanket, mosquito net, silverware, plates and glasses, etc.

As I was being told of the flood I had to walk away from the brethren because the tears were to great for me to hold back. I cannot convey to you how desperate the situation is nor can I convey to you the strength of character exhibited by the brethren here. While I am heartbroken at the loss I am so encouraged by faith shown.

After the distribution was completed I was taken to the sight of the church building and preachers house. Nothing remains of these two buildings except for the concrete slab. There was a pile of debris that contained the remnants. The water of the flood was, I am estimating, at least 20 feet deep, probably more.

We went back to Iligan to witness the distribution for the Santiago church of Christ. Here there were 43 bags of rice and groceries distributed. This number also included some members from Buruun. Here there was only 1 washed out home.

Edgar Samodal showed me around the building. The water came rushing through flooding them at about 4-5 feet deep. There were piles of Bibles, songbooks, and classroom material scattered about. The electronic equipment was also destroyed. Again i cannot say enough about the resolve and strength of the brethren here.