Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Getting Started

This trip began on Monday (8/16) with a flight from Oklahoma City to Detroit that ran early by about 20 minutes. This gave added time to connect for the flight to Nagoya, Japan and on to Manila, Philippines. The 13-hour flight to Nagoya seemed very short since I slept almost the entire way. Before we left, I told the flight attendants I would not have any meals because I preferred to sleep. Think I will do the same from now on because sleep is far better than airline meals.

When we got off for the fuel stop (Tuesday 8/17 local time), I found that Japan is in the midst of an historic heat wave which has resulted in numerous deaths. It was about 100F when we landed! The remaining 3+ hours to Manila went smoothly as well and we again got in ahead of schedule at about 10:10pm local time.

After a good night’s rest in Manila, I was off to Davao. As typical of flights here, the ticket prices are unbelievably cheap (in most cases), but the luggage costs may run 5 or 6 times the ticket price. After all is said and done, it is no longer cheap to fly over here. The flight was smooth and we arrived ahead of schedule again.

Upon arrival to the hotel, I got a room that had, shall we say, issues. They switched me to another room and it is much better. After getting settled, I did some logistics work necessary before starting lectures tomorrow. The Lord willing, I will post more on the work after they get started.