Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Good Day!

After finishing today’s classes, we are past the halfway point in this training effort. At the end of tomorrow, I will be inside of one week until I go home and that is always a good feeling. This is always the hardest part of the trip because we are tired, missing home and still have a great deal of work ahead. However, once I get within a week of coming home, it always makes me feel much better.

Lordy and I had a change of pace this morning. Since internet access is still unavailable in my room, I went to his room until after 10pm last night to do some research for today’s classes. I knew that I would have a long night still in reworking charts, so we decided to get the local McDonald’s to deliver our breakfast order to my room. It was a welcomed change of pace to have an American style breakfast for me while Lordy still liked the McDonald’s version of his breakfast better than what we get at the hotel café, plus it was cheaper. Think we will do that again!

My classes today required a great deal of work on charts to get them the way I wanted. So, I stayed up until about 2am getting them finished. It was time well spent because the classes went more smoothly and the students got the points better than in any of the past classes where the same material was covered.

The Old Testament Prophets class studied Joel and Jonah this morning. We had good interest from the students as they seem to be enjoying their study of the prophets. Several told me that they have never had a class in the prophets and had no idea of their background. As we put each prophet in his historical context and the issues being faced at that time, they immediately grasp the message much more clearly. It is enjoyable to see that look of comprehension (the “light bulb moment”) come to the face of students as they come to understand points not previously seen. All have said they see many things from the prophets that they want to include in their sermons.

The New Testament Survey classes covered the book of Acts today. I drilled them for a great deal of the time on what chapter various events and verses could be found. Several memory tools for putting together the content with the correct chapter in the book were shared. We also overviewed the cases of conversion, the journeys of Paul and the local churches found in the book. We spent a good amount of time towards the end of the class in distinguishing the purpose and effect of water baptism and the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

The Church History class was my last for the day and also the most challenging. Trying to explain the power struggle between the Catholic popes and the secular rulers has always been difficult to get across to students in a limited time and yet be understandable. It is the section of this study that has been the hardest for me to teach through the years. A few days ago, it occurred to me how it could be done more effectively, so I totally changed my whole presentation and I was very happy that it really seemed to do the job. The students seemed to understand the material and it made the development of papal power and corruption much easier to follow in both cause and effect.

Now to introduce a few more of the students in these classes… Carlos Domingo, Jr., 61, is from La Union. Two of his sons attended the PTP in years past and were very impressive young men. I have worked with Carlos in other places, but never at his home congregation. I was scheduled to preach there for two days several years ago when I became more ill than I have ever been in my life. (At one point, it got out that I was so ill I had been taken to the hospital which caused sudden panic to Leslie and Mom.) We now joke about when I plan to return, but I would love to do so in the near future. Carlos is a faithful and dedicated man. Virgilio Paet, 64, has had 3 sons take part in past PTPs, all good students. Virgilio has proven to be an excellent student in these classes as well. I have worked with him in his home area several times, the last time being after an all-night bus trip from Manila. I would prefer a different kind of night to prepare for the next time. Florendo Respicio, 60, is from Tuguegarao City and is one of the members of the Metro congregation where Rody preaches. I think he is also one of the elders. It is always a joy to be with him when I am in this area. Dennis Yuson, 34, has become very close to me through the years that I have worked with him. He is mature and talented well beyond his years. He often interprets for me when I am preaching in the countryside anywhere in this area. He endures great hardship without a word of complaint or diminished effort. In my judgment, Dennis is one of the most dedicated, effective and talented men of his generation in any country. He has the heart and work ethic of a true servant of the Lord.

Since it is well past the time I usually post this report, I will close and get it sent. One quick note before I do so -- Otey Pastor has now left the classes to go home with his family for a few days before beginning to serve time on Monday or Tuesday. Several have wanted his address and I will get it to all of you as soon as I know what it will be. Thanks again for keeping up with this effort. May our Lord and Savior bring you joy and peace.

Brotherly, Harry O.