Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The End Is in Sight!

With the final focus on completing the classes and getting all material covered, I stayed up until after 2am this morning getting ready for classes. Even when I try to get to sleep, I find it difficult to get any rest. I think the accumulation of over three week’s worth of travel, preaching and preparation has finally caught up with me and I am pushing harder and harder to make it through the day. Starting this effort after getting sick during the work in the Visayas has made it even more difficult, but the added energy from the end being in sight helps a great deal.

My Old Testament Prophets class covered the book of Zechariah today. We dealt with the apocalyptic style of writing seen in the book and several others (Ezekiel, Daniel & Revelation). Attention was given to the night visions to understand the main point of the picture being drawn for the readers. We also examined the historical sections showing the condition of the people and their need to be restored from the heart. Lastly, we looked at the clear and unmistakable messianic references in this prophetic book. This leaves me with only Malachi to overview tomorrow which can easily be done in 30 minutes.

The New Testament Survey class began with a 15 to 20 minute section showing the cessation of spiritual gifts as declared in 1st Corinthians 13 and when that occurred. We saw both the immediate context and other related passage refute the idea that spiritual gifts will continue until the second coming of Christ. Instead, the Scriptures plainly teach that those spiritual gifts were to cease when the completed revelation was both given and confirmed. After dealing with those points, we shifted to a general introduction for the book of Revelation. Building on the points from the class on Zechariah, it was easier to get the point across about the nature and purpose of apocalyptic literature. I got even further than I thought would be possible, leaving me a 30 minute section tomorrow to complete the book.

In Church History, we covered the English Reformation and set up the section on Restoration History that will be taught tomorrow. Though the English Reformation had its visible beginning with Henry VIII’s separation from Catholicism due to his desire to divorce Catherine of Aragon, it aided the development of a more spiritual effect. Though Henry VIII had no intent to change Catholic doctrine or practice, his ouster of priest sympathetic to the pope had the effect of purging a great number of power-hungry and wicked men from continuing their morally corrupt influence. Despite Henry’s lack of spiritual or moral concern, the religious leaders that remained in England came to show a great deal of moral strength and character that fueled the flames towards greater reform. The most significant help for the movement back towards God came from the fact that England led the way among nations in printing Bibles in the vernacular, thus giving access to the Bible for the common people. Where the people have access to God’s word and use that to learn what is His true will, restoration is the sure and certain result!

The class on Premillennialism finished all of the material on that subject today. After we completed our study guided by the outline, we had time for an open forum where the students could ask questions on the subject. Premillennialism is a hot topic over here as in most parts of our country since most of the denominations advocate the doctrine. They seemed glad to have the material in hand to use in studying with others. With that subject done, I have a one-hour class on Islam left to complete the Denominational Doctrines course.

Yesterday and today, we discussed how to allocate the remaining time for the classes. Since the books just arrived to us on Monday, Ron is needing all of the time he can get to teach the students how to use them. So, Lordy and I have finished our classes a day early to give Ron extra time. Since I will not be teaching Thursday, I decided to fly to Manila a day early to run several errands including a trip to the US Embassy to seek help with our book importing problem. I am also hoping to get some sleep before taking the long trip back home. As it turned out, that decision to fly back early to Manila was a very fortunate or providential decision. When I rebooked for tomorrow, the agent told me the airline had changed their schedule for the afternoon flight from 4:15pm to 1:20pm. Of course, they had not informed the passengers of that change. Had I not changed my flight, Ron and I would have missed our flight from here to Manila as well as our respective flights to New Zealand and home to the US. So, tonight I must pack up and get ready to leave after teaching my final 3 hours tomorrow and completing my part in this effort.

Thank you again for your thoughts, prayers, support and every form of encouragement in this effort. I am only able to take part in these opportunities to teach the gospel in this part of the world due to the kindness and love for souls that you have shown. I believe that there is much good that has been accomplished on this trip, and even more doors opened for future efforts to spread the seed of God’s word to places where it has not gone before. Without you, that would be impossible. To every one that has helped teach and preach while I am away, given of your time to pray for these efforts, provided funds to make the efforts possible and every action to help as we carry the gospel into all the world, thank you from the bottom of my heart and the depths of my soul. I wish that I could find words to tell you how much your fellowship with me in this work means to me. May God bless you that you may prosper even as your soul prospers.

Brotherly, Harry O.