Friday, October 9, 2009

Ready with Contacts Needing Help

The benevolent needs from the effects of Ondoy (Ketsana) and Pepeng (Parma) continue to come in each day. It is clear that the damage has been very extensive and that an urgent need exists for food and medicine as well as clothing and shelter. If you are able to help in meeting these needs, please contact me by e-mail at harryo@pldi.net or rfh2005@pldi.net and I will be glad to put you in contact with those who need the help. I will also be glad to explain how you can easily and economically send funds to the Philippines via "MoneyGram" from your local WalMart store.

Manila Area. While the flood waters have mostly receded from the Manila area (with the exception of a few very low areas), there is a continuing need due to lost wages, destroyed food and housing content and many badly damaged shelters. Sickness from the contaminated flood water is also a large problem.

Northern Luzon. In many areas, the flood waters are a recurring problem in northern Luzon. The Laoag City and the Ilocos Norte region have been hit more than once as Pepeng has come back into that area to bring more flood waters. Tuguegarao City and some parts of Cagayan, Isabela and Kalinga faced continuing threats from floods due to flood waters coming from further upriver. High winds in all of these areas caused a great deal of destruction. I have received several very urgent requests for food from those who have not had sufficient food in days. My assessment of the situation is that the vast majority of these requests are from honest brethren regarding a legitimate need that is at crisis level in many cases.

Cases of Fraud. A very small number of people have taken advantage of this disaster to seek personal gain through false reports. While I stress this is a very small number of individuals acting in this ungodly manner, brethren should be aware of such activity. For instance, I have received one report from southern Mindanao claiming that the typhoon caused damage there and seeking a very large amount for supposed "benevolent" needs. In fact, neither Ondoy or Pepeng affected either Mindanao or the lower Visayas (the far south and central portions of the country). I have also received one report claiming that the whole northern island of Luzon was devastated with "thousands upon thousands killed." That is also false as only portions of Luzon were greatly harmed and the number of dead were not into the thousands. As far as I know at this time, I have no confirmed case of any brother or sister in Christ that died from these typhoons. Yes, the destruction was very great and far beyond the effects of most typhoons that hit the Philippines, but meeting the real needs can only be done by accurately and honestly stating the nature of the situation. I will continue to post only what I have verified as true from multiple, trustworthy sources. If I mistakenly fail in that attempt. I will correct it as soon as I learn of the mistake. I have communicated the responsibility of honesty and transparency to Filipino brethren who will receive the benevolence as you can read in the posting that follows this one.