Monday, October 5, 2009

Destruction from Typhoons in Philippines

Numerous brethren have asked for information about the condition of our brethren in the Philippines who have suffered 2 very damaging typhoons in the past week. Though this blog is normally used for updates of my preaching trips to the Philippines, I will be using it for the next few weeks to give updates concerning the effects of the typhoons and the benevolent need that exists among affected brethren.

The post on this blog previous to this one has excerpts and pictures from various worldwide media sources concerning the situation. I will continue to update the site with more information as it becomes available so that you may have some outside, objective reporting on the degree of devastation. You may also want to mark a website I have found helpful in giving weather information (http://www.typhoon2000.ph/) regarding typhoons in the Philippines. You may also want to visit the blog of brother Jerome Forelo who preaches in and around Tuguegarao(http://networkedblogs.com/p13634206).

Early this morning (Monday 10/05/09), I reached several brethren by phone concerning the situation present and the degree of benevolent need. They all report that the damage is extensive and widespread. To this point, I am still unable to contact brethren in Manila by phone.

The first storm called “Ondoy” (the international name was “Ketsana”) came across the lower part of the main northern island of Luzon. The Manila area was badly flooded and is still suffering greatly from the aftermath. While I was in Lakeland, Florida in a meeting, one family got through to speak to Atoy Franco on his cell phone. His home was badly flooded and electrical power was not available. Within the last hour or two, I have received several posts from brethren in the affected area confirming a great need throughout the Manila area for funds to help repair homes and replace many things lost to the floods. Brother Jojo Tacbad sent pictures of several brethren and their property that was badly damaged or destroyed. Brother Ben Cruz is very well respected in that area and knows the needs of brethren there better than anyone of whom I know. Though he is very busy tending to the pressing needs at this time, you may try to reach Ben by email (benlor_cruz@yahoo.com). He might also be reached through his daughter, Dr. Teresa Toreja, who often helps us in communicating with brethren in that area (teresatoreja@yahoo.com).

The second storm called “Parma” (or "Pepeng") hit the Philippines on Saturday, October 3, and continues to affect the island because it has stalled off of the northwest coast near Laoag City. The storm came ashore on the northeast side of Luzon and made a direct hit on Tuguegarao. Fortunately, the winds had decreased from the approximate 175mph reported on Friday to about 100mph when it hit. The Cagayan province bore the highest winds and sustained major damage from both winds and flooding rain. That area has numerous faithful brethren with whom I have worked very closely for several years. Every brother in the area that I have heard from so far tells me of devastation to both homes and fields. Though this area is less densely populated than Manila, the damage done in the Cagayan province will be very severe. Numerous faithful brethren like Rody Gumpad, Rolando Agpoon, Dennis Yuson, Gerald Ganela and other preachers from pervious preacher training programs live in this area.

Parma continues at this writing to bring damage to the northwestern side of Luzon in the Ilocos Norte region. Another super typhoon, Melor (also known as "Quedan"), is passing to the east of Luzon and has pulled Parma back towards the island where it is stalled off of Laoag City bringing continued high winds and flooding. I have also worked in this area where there are many brethren. I have tried to reach Vic Domingo, Mat Sibayan and other brethren in and around Laoag City, but have not gotten through yet. When I have news about the effects to brethren in that region, I will post it on this blog.

The need left in the wake of these storms is both real and vast. Please consider any assistance you might be able to give as an individual and pass information of the need to the church with whom you labor. I will be glad to provide any information possible for help you may wish to send to worthy brethren who are in need. If churches wish to help by sending from their treasury for this benevolent need, I will be glad to put you in touch with the elders in those churches where the need exist.

I will be going to the Philippines on October 26th, the Lord willing, and will continue to update via this blog regarding the need until I leave. Once in the Philippines, I will continue to post on the situation as regularly as possible. My schedule while in the Philippines calls on me to spend my first full day and a half in the Manila area. If it is necessary, I can use that time to check on the needs that exist and help in any way possible to assist in the relief. Please feel free to contact me at harryo@pldi.net if I can be of any help. Thank you for your concern shown towards our brothers and sisters in the Philippines.

Brotherly,
Harry Osborne