Wednesday, April 3, 2024

Complication Arises in Classes


 Our classes were going very well today. We finished Hebrews 6 and 7 before lunch. After lunch, we completed chapter 8 and the first 10 verses of chapter 9. However, a complication arose at the lunch break. On the way back to the building, As I tried to take the first step up of the stairs to go into the building, I lost my balance and fell. My head hit the steps, and I had a small cut in my right eyebrow that bled for a little while, but soon stopped. The problem came when I tried to break my fall with my right hand. It immediately swelled and had a great deal of pain. But since I could bend it, I thought there was no big problem. So I completed the afternoon class, but as I came toward the end, it was obvious that the pain was much worse. Rody's daughter, Kathy Forello, is a medical doctor and she checked my wrist. She wanted to take me to the ER to have an x-ray immediately after the fall, but I decided to finish my class.


By the time the class was over, the pain was such that I was ready to go. Jerome and Kathy then took me to the ER where I was immediately taken back for the x-ray. The initial reading was that there was no obvious fracture. However, by the time I got settled in my room, I was called and instructed to return to the hospital. A further reading of the x-ray determined that I had two breaks in my right arm above the wrist - one in the ulna and the other in the radius. So they put me in a temporary cast and told me to see an orthopedic doctor when I returned home. They also said I would probably require surgery when I return home. Of course, that was not what I wanted to hear. For right now, I intend to go on with the trip and teach the classes both here and in Cebu. The pain seems to be under control so that is not really a problem. The problem is that I am right, handed and have difficulty since I have no use of that hand. I am writing this post by the dictation function on my computer and it has taken me an extremely long time. I will try to get out reports as best I can, but please understand that they will be sporadic. In the meantime, i would appreciate your prayers. God bless!