Sunday, November 12, 2017

Sunday in Cebu


This morning, I gathered with the congregation meeting in the central, business district of Cebu City. Jonathan Carino and his good family work with these brethren. Two families that I had known for a long time are no longer meeting with this congregation as they started a new congregation in another part of Cebu. In the U.S., we would call it “a friendly swarm” as the congregation meeting in the central city was helpful and happy that some were able to reach souls in another area and start a sound work there. Their was no problem that began the new work, but both are fully supportive of one another as they continue to reach the lost and work in the same cause of Christ. As it turns out, I will be privileged to join the new work in a Gospel Meeting next Saturday, the Lord willing.
 
The time for the preaching and classes was combined today so I gave an extended lesson on “Letting the Peace of God Rule in Our Hearts” from the text in Philippians 4:6-9. They were very supportive and showed a desire to search the Scriptures as we gave them in order to prove the teaching from God’s word.

I have grown in by love for and admiration of the Central Cebu City congregation as I have met with them over the past 15 years. They worship in spirit and in truth, having an obvious love for the Lord and one another. Their growth in spirituality and number is also clear since our first time together in 2002. Every time I come here, there are new faces as more have obeyed the gospel since my last visit. After our intended venue for the classes fell through, they again agreed to let us use their meeting place for the classes on Ephesians and Colossians starting tomorrow. May God bless them for their great efforts!

One of my dearest friends on earth is Jonathan Carino. Just a few weeks ago, he was sick “nigh unto death,” but is doing so much better now. It is evident to me that the illness has taken strength from him, but he continues he great work in the Lord. There is no way I could do my work here in the Philippines without his ceaseless help. It was such a pleasure to work with him again today! Jonathan is an humble and effective worker in the kingdom of our Lord and Savior. My only wish is that I could clone him and have another Jonathan with whom I could work daily in Oklahoma City!


Another dear friend and co-worker in the kingdom, Lordy Salunga, is due to fly in late tonight and help Jonathan and myself in the classes starting tomorrow. He was formerly a professor in a top university here in the Philippines, but is now a diligent worker in preaching the gospel throughout the country. I am grateful for his help in this effort.


Thanks again to all of you who have helped make this effort possible and who prayer for the success of the Lord’s work here. God bless!