Sunday, October 28, 2012

A Great Lord's Day


It has been a joy to start this trip with the stay in Bacolod, having Jonathan Carino and his son, Christopher John (most call him “John-John,” but I fondly call him “Chris”), as my neighbors in the hotel and my morning associates at breakfast. As many of you know, my love and respect for Jonathan is great because of his selfless work in the Lord’s service. Jonathan is the one upon whom I depend to plan out my trips over here and to work out the logistics that must be arranged. It is a joy to start each day with a time to enjoy his company. This has been the first time Chris has joined us on a trip and it has been a special pleasure to have him with us. He is on break from college at this time and is showing great interest in the work of preaching the gospel. It had always been a dream of mine to have a son that became active in this work of evangelism, so I am glad for Jonathan and the cause to see Chris preparing to step into that place for the next generation.

The first schedule for this Lord’s Day was in Victorias City with the congregation where Jack Jaco and his family labor. I preached on the “Life of Joseph: Lessons from an Example of Faithfulness.” Jack summarized the lesson into the dialect. We then had some singing, prayer and Scripture reading before Jonathan preached on “Are We Saved by Faith Alone?” After the study, we commemorated the death of Christ in the Lord’s Supper and had the collection. 

Jack then gave some words of exhortation and extended the invitation. Four young people responded to obey the Lord and confessed their faith. After the services, they were baptized at a pool nearby. I later found out that the three girls and one boy were now living with one of the families in the congregation after the father of the children, a Philippine Intelligence officer, vanished leaving them orphaned. (It is presumed that the man was killed by drug lords or other enemies of the state.) The lady of the adoptive family has been teaching the gospel to the children and they all made the decision to obey today. After their baptism, they all showed the true joy that comes with salvation.

After the worship, I had the opportunity to be with Jack’s family for a little while. Adel is always so welcoming and hospitable that everyone is immediately at ease in her presence. It is always a joy to see her infectious smile! The girls, Shammah and Shalom, are now grown young women, who are both working as nurses. We made an agreement years ago that they are my “nieces” and they call me “uncle.” They have a special place in my heart as I have watched them grow up through the years. Jack and Adel’s son, Jireh, was also there having come home for the day from Ilo-Ilo on the island of Panay where he works at a call center. Jireh led the singing in the service and did an excellent job. While I am separated from my own family, it is a true joy to be with some of my adopted family over here in the Philippines. Whether I am over here or back in the U.S., I am present with and enjoying some of my family, but absent from and missing others.

One large problem became apparent during the lunch. We had found out that Jack had gone to the hospital last night after being very sick and experiencing great pain. So, we raised the subject and finally got the full story. Jack’s symptoms sound like stones in the gallbladder. He was admitted to the hospital last night to get an ultrasound and possible surgery. However, Jack did not have funds and was determined to continue in our work of preaching, so he checked himself out, against the advice of the doctors. He even had to sign a waiver releasing the hospital from responsibility in order to leave. As we talked, I saw him clutching his side and low back repeatedly while trying to visit. When he was asked directly whether he was in pain, he admitted that he was and said he would wait for treatment until his part of the work was finished in a little over a week. I told him that was not going to happen and he was going to the hospital in Bacolod this afternoon. The fact that his pain was increasing was apparent in that he did not protest further. When we took him to the hospital on the way to the next schedule, the doctors advised him to return for tests and pre-op procedures tomorrow at 8am, having nothing to eat or drink after 6pm tonight. I do not know what this will cost, but I suspect that I may need to ask for some help as I think my funds will be stretched beyond the limit to cover those medical expenses and the remaining work for this trip.

Our final schedule was with one of the congregations with whom Shem Tapagan labors. When we arrived, Shem was having a study with the brethren and continued in it while we set up. I then preached on “Defeating the Devil” from 1 Peter 5:8-9. Jonathan Carino followed with a sermon on “Responsibilities within a Local Church.” The lessons were very well received and it was a joy to be with the congregation. Following the lessons, they observed the Lord’s Supper, had the collection and sang several songs. One of Shem’s sons, Lewill John, led the singing and did a great job. It is obvious that Shem has exceptional ability and is working diligently in teaching the word. Each time that I am with them, the building has been widened some from the previous time as it continues to grow in number – and I believe also in spiritual strength. At the end of the service, Shem offered an invitation, but there was no visible response.

The Lord willing, we end our time in Bacolod tomorrow with lectures designed for outsiders – mostly denominational preachers. Please keep our efforts in your prayers. Thank you again to all who have made this effort possible. I could not do it alone, but I am honored to have a part in it with you all.

Brotherly, Harry